Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fuselage building idea

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Scota4570

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuselage building idea

Can I turn a foam plug in a lathe then cover it with glass to make a fuselage? The idea would be to dig out the unneeded foam to make room and save weight. The front 1/3 would be split on a bandsaw to add the insides.

I have had an airplane lurking in my mind for a very long time. The fuse is the shape of an NACA 0016 airfoil. The tail is like a Mitsubish Jack fighter of WW-2. The mid wing is also a NACA 0016 or there abouts. The wing tapers in profile to rounded tips. The fuselage is smoothly blended in to the wing. The the engine cowl looks like looks like a radial and the spinner is like the "Rare Bear". The gear are in the wing and heavily spatted and streamlined. A little cockpit that is well blended. I guess it would l looks like a super streamlined 1930's racer.

The foam is blue insulation BTW. I have a foam bow and power supply. I have cut a big wing. I covered that one with paper and white glue. It worked really well. Any other or better suggestions one covering foam core wings.

Oh, size of the thing. 5" span, 50CC.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:57 AM
CloudyIFR

Default RE: Fuselage building idea

Absolutely.

I recommend digging out the foam as much as possible then using Acetone to melt it away, it doesn't take much Acetone so go slowly but it works great.

This sleeving might be the way to go for you too. It comes in many different varieties too. Such as sizes and materials.
http://www.solarcomposites.com/compo...20sleeves.html

Careful with some of the mixed materials such as the carbon/kevlar as the carbon doesn't run down the length of the fuselage but around it.

Curtis
TailwindGliders
Old 11-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

90 views and one reply?

Do you have a drawing?

There was an article, many moons ago about building a fuselage just that way. I believe they built it in halves? Maybe someone remembers the article. You do have to have structure inside this fuselage. Models do take a beating.

Also, you may want to re-thing turning the fuselage on a lathe. When your done, you'll have a fuselage that looks like it was turned on a lathe. [sm=bananahead.gif]

Eliptical fuselages look much better when thinner on the sides.

Certainly traditional building methods, that have been proven, will work best. Nice to be creative also.

To use a line from the movie Taken.

"Good luck."
Old 11-21-2010, 02:22 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Actually if I were to use these materials to build a fuse I would hot wire two exterior and then sand to a finish shape followed by glass. Then I would hot wire the center leaving only about 3/16" inch of foam and then apply a light layer of cloth to the interior. The result would be two foam/glass composite shells that after joining would be quite strong but still fairly light
Old 11-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Scota4570

I was thinking of leavng some foam too. I have notticed a bit of remaining foam makes a strong structure with little glass. It seems like the foam is spreading out any load you put on the glass skin. Once all the foam is removed it gets weak. I like the idea of adding a layer of glass inside. I'll have to play and see what I prefer.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 AM
canadian8apilot

I once did just that with a smaller model, It was a 30 inch long fuse of a North Amarican X15 rocket plane I designed and flew with Estes D12 booster engines after air dropping.

Bill
Old 12-16-2010, 07:07 AM
tlar

There is a post on RCGROUPS.COM that describes a very simple way to build a fuse.Search for mini DG1000 in the sailplane group.