Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Holes EVERYWHERE~~~~

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 07:10 AM
bikz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holes EVERYWHERE~~~~

I am new into fixing models.
The first one i fixed was the CAP 232 by Kyosho.

Ok everthing was ok except the cowl.
Didint know how to cut it.Asked around and other guys told me to use a blade. Tried and it was too tough to cut so this is what i did... Heated up a blade and made the cuttings with the hot burning blade!!! it did cut but man is it ugly.
I also made some wrong cuttings and a few holes(which did for the fueling line and pressure line).

So this is the question...How can close up the ugly patches and holes which i have made.?
What matterials i need.?
how do i do it?
I know the cowling is made of fibre glass( i think) but not exactly 100% sure what type it is.

Thank you all before hand for the help.
cheers.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:30 AM
bikz

opps looks like iv cliked twice zand have 2 of the same threads!!!
plz just reply to this one.
thanks
Old 08-04-2003, 08:06 AM
probligo

If the cowl melted when you used the hot blade then it is probably ABS rather than fiberglass.

Best I can suggest is write a very respectful letter to Kyosho and tell them what has happen.

Perhaps if you explain that well they will send you a new cowl.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:10 AM
bikz

Yes it melted. So it is ABS i think(recall reading that somewhere as well!)
thanks alot and i will try to contact Kyosho and keep my fingers crossed.
But in the meantime can i do anything?
Old 08-06-2003, 05:00 AM
canadianjosh

It is defineatley an ABS cowl not fiberglass, glass has a very high temp capacity before melting, something like 1500c same thing with resin, they don't melt too easily, anyways, you could take the cowl and use fiberglass to patch the inside holes, let that cure, then get some automotive body filler and fill the holes, sand then fill, sand then fill, do this till they are flush, then seal the filler with either, thinned resin or a sealer, then prime a few coats then paint.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:56 AM
bikz

thanks and ill try it...
are there any other materials i could use...just want to know if there are other means/ways of repairing the damage.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Ed Smith

Sand the inside of the plastic cowl with coarse sandpaper to rough up the surface. I always use epoxy resin, some polyesters do not cure over some plastics. Using epoxy resin lay 6oz glass cloth over the holes with about a 3/4" overlap (On the inside of the cowl). Carefully brush the resin over the exposed cloth. Let that cure thoroughly. Fill the outside cavities with resin/micro balloons or, as stated before, Auto body filler. Be careful here some polyester based body fillers might not cure over epoxy. when cured sand everything smooth to the original cowl contours. You now have, basically, a new cowling with no holes. Re-cut the holes but do it right this time.

It is best to mark approximately where the holes should be, but smaller than required. Round holes can be drilled or poked through and enlarged with a round file. Larger shaped holes use a dremel tool or electric drill with a sanding drum. Rough them out first and trial fit to see where material has to be removed.

Ed S
Old 08-08-2003, 01:02 AM
bikz

thanks.

will give it a go..