Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

How to cut weight of a wing tube ?

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

How to cut weight of a wing tube ?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:31 AM
nappy99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to cut weight of a wing tube ?

I have a 85cc Aeroworks Yak....looking to shave some weight from the wing tube (its 9oz).....a CF tube only saves 3 OZ....so I was wondering if you could drill holes in the factory tube to shed some weight ? Is the only load on the tube where the wing meets the fuse ? Is it possible to drill some holes in the middle and ends of the tube, and leave the area where wing meets the fuse solid ?

Anyone try this ?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to cut weight of a wing tube ?

You could cut holes in the vertical quadrants of the tubes, and not have a big reduction of stiffness, "in theory". CF has very good tensile strength, but it's not so good in shear strength which is the kind of stress that the "webs" between the holes would be subjected to. I would take the 33% weight saving and call it good.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts
Default RE: How to cut weight of a wing tube ?

ORIGINAL: nappy99

I have a 85cc Aeroworks Yak....looking to shave some weight from the wing tube (its 9oz).....a CF tube only saves 3 OZ....so I was wondering if you could drill holes in the factory tube to shed some weight ? Is the only load on the tube where the wing meets the fuse ? Is it possible to drill some holes in the middle and ends of the tube, and leave the area where wing meets the fuse solid ?

Anyone try this ?
Yes, QQ drilled holes in his wing tube of the Yak he flew in the 2002 TOC. It looked like the heat sheild of a machine gun. If you do some pic searches of the 2002 TOC you may get a pic of it