Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

How to repair GEL coat?

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

How to repair GEL coat?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Mrs R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to repair GEL coat?

Chopped strand mat's fibers are to a random angle to be structural the fibers are layed up in a specific angle to transfer loads along the axis of the fiber which can not be obtained with random anglesin CSM. but if you are making a mold it is ideal it just depends on the requirementsof the component that is being made.
Aircraft need very light structures so every fiber counts a boat only needs to float on water so the weight doesn't matter to the degree that a plane requires.

If you read CARF's build instructions they continually warnagainst damaging the plane by pressure or impactdamage as the matrix is designed to take loads in tension,torsion and compresionalong the structure not across.
Bulkheads in light aircraft are usually glued in with resin and cotton flock radiused and then cloth layed up at specific angles to transfer the loads. That also depends on the bulkhead.

I am only generalising.To get more involved you need a university Engineering DegreeI can'tput all that knowledge in a post.
Hope this explains

KINDREGARDS
Rachael
IHave Deleted some of the above post as it diverted from good intentions

PEASENOTEIWILLONLYANSWERREQUESTSFORHELPINREPAIRING DAMAGEDPLANESORQUESTIONSONMAKINGEPOXYCOMPOSITEPART S
IDONOTHAVETHETIMEFORP_ _ _ _CONTESTSANYINFORMATIONIPOSTWILLBETHEBESTANSWERICA NGIVETOTHEPROBLEMEXPLAINED

ALLTHEBESTWITHTHEREPAIRS
Rachael
ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Why wouldn't chopped fibers be considered structural??? What else would use be using them for? I'm thinking that this would be used for a fillet between, say, a bulkhead and fuse sheeting.

Bob
Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Mrs R

Try this buy 1 sq. Mtr of 1oz cloth mix 1 oz of resin then wet it out and let me know how much cloth you covered. You will be suprised I think to find the
outcome.

KINDREGARDS
Rachael
Old 05-05-2011, 01:44 PM
wyowindworks

ORIGINAL: Mrs R

Try this buy 1 sq. Mtr of 1oz cloth mix 1 oz of resin then wet it out and let me know how much cloth you covered. You will be suprised I think to find the
outcome.

KINDREGARDS
Rachael
Here is a sample that I laid-up to just double check myself. This sample was created by using 3 layers of 4.18 ounce #1652. The weight of the raw glass was weighed before layup and was 11.46 grams. The fabric was saturated with resin with no visible voids, cured, and demolded. The final weight of the untrimmed part was 17.17 grams. There is only 5.71 grams of resin in this laminate. No vacuum bag or peel-ply was used. That equals 67:33 fiber to resin ratio by weight or 47:53 by volume. The thorectical thickness would be .01417. Mine mics at .0145.

Anyway, back to the repairs.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35556.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	1604725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54475.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	1604726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50046.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	1604727  
Old 05-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Mrs R

This is the last reply to this type of post I am only answering this as it has implications that I have misinformed on this Forum which Ihave not.

Our testing approx 10 years ago showed these results, but we could not duplicat them on small repairs under 4sq." the normal result is 1 to 1 approx.These are clean layups not
attached to sandwich structure as the wet out to Conticell allways comes out heavierdue to sink in to the air open cells.
Cloth is Interglass used on all German Gliders. Epoxy is Epikote 162 R, Epikure 113 H mix is 100 parts R 38 parts H by weight I would prefer to generalise normally as not everybody is an expert in laying up cloth epoxy laminate and if you state it must result in so and so and when it is not achieved they worry that that they have boobed when it's just that they have only done 1 or 2 small repairs.
ALLISPERSQUAREMETER

CLOTH 90070 plane weave78grms Dry Resin 52grms thickness .08mm
'''''''''''''''''' 92110 Twill '''''''''''''''''''160grms ''''''''.Resin 107grms .'''''''''''''''''''''''' .17mm
'''''''''''''''''' 92125 Twill '''''''''''''''''' 187grms.'''''''' Resin 187grms. ''''''''''''''''''''''.29mm
'''''''''''''''''''' 92145 Unidir.''''''''''' 210grms.'''''' Resin 140grms. ''''''''''''''''''''''' .22mm
I hpope this is some assistance for other Forum Readers these results came out very close to recomended by Interglass the layups where on glass sheet with a Peel Ply between.
These tests where carried out so we could calculate the weight of parts for an Ultralite Glider we where making
Just facts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rachael
Old 05-06-2011, 04:08 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 AM
pappy69

Why this very interesting discussion is seased?[&o]
Please Mr. R give us some more knowledge!!![&o]
Old 03-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Mrs R

Reply for Mrs R from Denise,

Mr R is in Hospital most of her time lately has been taken up in finding a repair modification for HITECS High Voltage Servo Problems. This she has done and will be publishing the results and how to fix the servos on FG first very soon.
If any one wants advice on GRP repairs send a message to her and she will reply.

ALLTHEBEST

Denise