Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

ESM P-51B Wing Glassing?

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

ESM P-51B Wing Glassing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:56 PM
dlsmith976

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM P-51B Wing Glassing?

Hello everyone. I'm going to purchase a ESM P-51B in the next day or two and wondered if anyone has stripped a ESM wing and recovered in fiberglass yet. Is this doable and would it be beneficial? The model comes in around 16lbs I believe and I understand warbirds tend to fly more scale like if they are a bit heavy. I looked up the same scale models built by Ziroli and Yellow and noticed theirs were a bit heavier. I know these models are better but,I like the value and quality of the ESM planes with the scale retractable gear. The prices are hard to beat so I'm thinking with a little added effort I could end up with a great machine. I also plan on using a scale cockpit kit and possibly modifying the retracts by adding a retractable tailwheel. I would also like to use a scale Kelo exhaust system although I haven't made up my mind on engines yet. Anyway, I haven't really seen much info on mods to ESM planes and in fact can't find near the information these days on R/C (Fuel Burning) aircraft like there used to be. Even many of the magazines are going under. Seems like all I find are on these new fangled "toy" electric things now. I would appreciate any help, suggestions,or feedback of any kind on the subject.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:30 PM
dlsmith976

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM P-51B Wing Glassing?

Decided since it has been nearly 18 years since I have built or flown an airplane to purchase an E-Flite T-34 Mentor instead. Actually Wife convinced me this may be a good idea as opposed to putting thousands of greenbacks into a beautiful scale model only to find my skills to be quite rusty ending in the loss of such an expensive project. I would still like to hear from folks about my previous post because I do plan on getting either an ESM or other large scale warbird as soon as I get brushed up on flying again. Thanks.

Oh, It is kinda ironic I ended up buying one of the "toy" type planes I was bashing in my former post, but after reviewing this plane in particular I find I may have been too quick to judge. With a little weathering and the possible addition of E-Flites new electric retracts(among other asthetic alterations) it may turn out to be a pretty cool craft after all. Besides, for what you get in the package it sure seemed to be a sweet deal. I'll be able to use the radio on my next larger bird as long as I don't need more than 6 channels. I would have made the cockpit canopy open manually anyway and possibly only added releasable drop tanks to the ESM had I or if I still get it.