Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

SuperLight fiberglassing

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

SuperLight fiberglassing

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 06:32 PM
gjs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperLight fiberglassing

Benefits of Core Materials The following quote I got from Winship.

"The use of core materials can be very advantageous. When core material is used to double the thickness of a structure,
the relative STIFFNESS INCREASES 7 TIMES.
The STRENGTH increases 3.5 TIMES
while the weight only increases 1.03 times.
When core material quadruples the thickness,
the relative stiffness increases an incredible 37 times,
the strength increases 9.2 times, but the weight only increases a mere 1.06 times."

The Reason you don't see this Method of building much is it's time consuming, in other words You can't make money building that way. The mold way isn't absolutely the best way its durable and the fast cheap way. The only place you see much composite core building is Aerospace and HomeBuilt aircraft.

My point is, I think we can build lighter stronger stiffer with a little skill and thought. If you are willing or eager to sacrifice a little toughness for performance take one layer of glass from the outside and put inside the fuse.

Where the skill comes in is locating "hard-points" to mount struff. In other words you've got to replace the light core material where big loads go because thin skins on light cores are stiff in bending but tear loose if pulled or pushed unless there is something more substancial there to spread the load to a larger area. Motor mounts connected to the wing saddle connected to the landing gear connected to the servo mounts, stab mount.

On HLGs I've used stiffend paper skins on foam with basswood Keel on bottom where the toughness is needed and matched the weights of $300. competition gliders. By the way the performance was Killer, just like the real thing. $ 5. and some time.

gjs
Show Me More, I'm from the Show Me State.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:00 AM
Thor200069

Default Honey Comb

Hi

I read your thread and it's all true, will it be possible to construct a glider wing for example out of honeycomb with lets say 1 layer of carbon cloth on both sides. The only problem that I think one will encounter is how one would shape the comb to a section.

If this method is "possible" one would be able to build SUPER LIGHT aircraft wings and it will be SUPER strong.

Open for any comments...

Thor200069
Old 08-28-2003, 05:12 PM
T.S.Davis

Default core material

Is there a core material that is flexible enough to be made curved? Honeycomb or otherwise?