Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Peel ply

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Peel ply

Does anyone else have a problem removing peel ply? I use a layer of 3 oz and (3) layers of 6 oz in and a layer of bleeder cloth, put it in a vacuum bag and let cure. It is hard to get the peel ply off. I usually end up pulling the part out of the mold. I love the out come and the ease of laying up parts with it but what a PIA. I'm wondering if I should try a lower vacuum or a different peel ply cloth.

Tim
Old 06-21-2011, 04:57 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: Peel ply

Some peel plys are better then others and some need to be put down on the propper side.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:20 PM
wyowindworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Teflon coated peel-ply.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Timthetoolman1

Can you epoxy over a part that has Teflon on it?

I thought about different sides. I'll have to lay up some sample pieces and give that a try too.

It seems like the bleeder cloth is getting soaked with epoxy. It seems like if I soak or scrape all the epoxy off that I can I don't have as hard a time as if I just laid up the part and put on the peel ply.

Tim
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Timthetoolman1

I think I just found my problem. I went to the web site I've started ordering my glass and such from and it's not on their which means I ordered it from another site which is the same company I'm haveing problems with an order of glass I got from them. I'll try some out from my new company and see how that works.
If anyone else has some ideas please post, the peel ply I have may or may not be the problem.

Tim
Old 06-22-2011, 03:50 AM
tschmidt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tim,
I use peel ply in all my bagged lay ups. You want to get the "blue" peel ply which is the extra release. You also will want to use perforated release film between the peel ply and breather cloth so the breather won't stick to the peel ply. The blue peel ply is available from Aerospace composites as well as Fibreglast.com.

Todd