Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what mold release wax do you use?

I have a few fiber glass parts to make and I normally use Part All mold release wax. The problem is this wax is so hard to remove! I have only use part all so I don't know if there is something easier to apply/remove??? I was looking at TR Industries wax, any suggestions??
    thanks chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: what mold release wax do you use?

One of the tricks with any wax is use only enough wax to bring up a shine, do not let it dry before starting the buffing. As soon as you apply the wax buff it out some, pay attention to the corners and tight areas. A wax build up will cause finish problems. when the wax is almost dry finish the buffing to a shine. Then spray on a light coat of mold release. Acetone is a good wax remover!
    Kits: F11C-2 1:4, Do-24T 1:8, P-3 1:10, Howard 500 1:5, XFY-1 1:4, SR-9 1:4, V-22 1/6, B-25J 1:4, F+W C3603 1:5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also use part all wax and you'll find it gets easier as your molds season. Also, I use a 3" air buffer which really works well..

Todd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have used the TR Industries wax (hi temp & regular) as well as Meguiar's #88, but still prefer the Rexco Part-all #2 wax. I like the way the PVA (Rexco Part-all #10) goes on it much better with no fish eyes or imperfections at all. I have had some issues with incompatibility with the PVA and other waxes before. The other waxes seem to be easier to buff out, but I feel they are not as durable IMHO.

I just got in some Freekote 770NC semi-permanent release system & FMS mold sealer to try out, but we shall see how it works out for me prior to me making any suggestions for it!

Best of luck,
    Scott Smith
    NMPRA 86t - District 7 VP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When applying Part-all Paste #2 you want to buff the wax off within 1 minute of the application.  I wipe it on a buff it off almost immediately.  I use two clothes to do the buffing.  I use one cloth to remove the excess and another clean cloth to do the final buffing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been using Dolphin Wax from H&M Racing, freindlier than Part-All.
    Dave Norman
    29w

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ahh yes, Dolphin wax. I need to pick up some of that too for my wing molds soon....

I also buff the part-all #2 off within a couple of minutes, or as soon as it begins to haze some. I then let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes and then buff it with a clean cloth or a 3" palm buffer. till it shines. I will do this with each coat until I have applied the desired amount of coats.
    Scott Smith
    NMPRA 86t - District 7 VP