Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Guillows Fiberglass Fuse Fabrication?

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Guillows Fiberglass Fuse Fabrication?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 PM
tpallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guillows Fiberglass Fuse Fabrication?

Hello,

I am considering fabricating a fiberglass fuselage on a Guillow's Hellcat (large version).

Simple question is, does this make sense? Looking it at it from the perspectives of do I save weight, strength, ability to mold in detail....at this small size??

Thanks!

Tom
Old 08-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Guillows Fiberglass Fuse Fabrication?

What size is the model?

Photos?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:55 PM
tpallas

Very small - here's the link to the Guillows website:

http://www.guillow.com/f6f-3hellcat.aspx

Thanks!
Tom
Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one almost finished and it is very light, but also not very sturdy. It is strong enough for normal flight loads, but would not do well with rough landings or crashes. A fiberglass fuse would increase strength, but could also add some weight. If you can produce a light fiberglass fuse with some decent detail it would be worth it. I would however recommend sheeting the wing to handle the added weight. The other consideration is you should change the wing incidence as it is too much for R/C flying.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:44 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would build a larger model with a sheeted fuselage and wing. Find a kit or plans.

Sell the Gillows model to a collecter.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:58 AM
tpallas

Thanks, is that because the model is simply too small? I had planned on sheeting the fuse.

Would it make more sense to blow up the plans to a 50-60" wingspan?

Thank you!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:30 AM
cfircav8r

If your building it because you want a small Hellcat and like a challenge then I would go for it (as I am doing.) If you just want a hellcat then there are far better routes to take that will guarantee more success. The guillows was never designed to be R/C and therefore its design does not have many features necessary for radio gear installation, motor and batteries or engine and fuel tank installation. You will have to make mods as you build and hope you don't miss something that may need redesigning along the way. Again if you are looking for a building challenge great, if not it will just be a very frustrating build that most likely will never be finished.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:38 AM
tpallas

I agree, my goal here is the challenge. My plan with the fiberglass fuse was to build up from the kit, sheet, detail, and make a mold from that. The big question mark then seems to be if it will weigh too much?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Scorpion Racing

I vote yes, it will be too heavy to be a good flying r/c model. The rubber kit is built with stringers and covered in tissue which is very light. A molded fiberglass model is a solid sheeted unit (no gaps between stringers where only the tissue is). If you used even extremely light cloth and a structural laminating resin (MGS, Aeropoxy or similar) I think by the time you got it structurally sound, it would weigh double the intended weight. I could be wrong, but if you want to mold a Hellcat, I would go with the 60" span idea, since the amount of hours will be roughly the same to mold either one. With a larger model, the wing loading will decrease as the area goes up (30"x 10" = 300" sq., if you double that, 60"x20" = 1,200" sq.). You will also have an easier task adding more scale details to the model with it being larger.

I don't want you to give up by any means, as molding an airplane is very rewarding in you knowledge and self accomplishments. I just think you would be happier with a model that looks good and fly well too.

Best wishes,
Old 08-19-2011, 04:52 PM
cfircav8r

I have actually seen these fly well fully sheeted. Fiberglass, if done properly, should not weigh any more than that. If your up for the challenge then I say go for it. The reason for the extreme light weight is they were made for rubber power. Put a good motor and beef up the wing and it should do fine.