Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Plug for Great Planes Giles 202 cowling

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Plug for Great Planes Giles 202 cowling

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 AM
winglift
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug for Great Planes Giles 202 cowling

I would like to make a fiberglass cowling for the Great Planes Giles 202 .46 airplane and was wondering if someone out there might have a plug that I might borrow?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:07 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: Plug for Great Planes Giles 202 cowling

If you still have the ABS kit parts, you already have your mold. Throw a couple coats of partall wax and them some PVA on the inside of the ABS parts, lay some cloth and epoxy resin and pull out a ice fiberglass part. I do this all the time.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:46 AM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi winglift,

Do you need one of this?

speedracer is right. If you still have the ABS cowl complete, you can build your own FG cowl using that as a mold. The caviat is if you do it from the inside, the new FG will be slightly smaller. Maybe that's not a problem. What I did was to use it for creating a negative mold. Then, I built my cowl from it. It is an exact replica.

PRG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64233.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1653354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40070.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1653355  
Old 08-31-2011, 05:41 AM
winglift

ORIGINAL: prgonzalez

Hi winglift,

Do you need one of this?

speedracer is right. If you still have the ABS cowl complete, you can build your own FG cowl using that as a mold. The caviat is if you do it from the inside, the new FG will be slightly smaller. Maybe that's not a problem. What I did was to use it for creating a negative mold. Then, I built my cowl from it. It is an exact replica.

PRG
I still have the ABS cowling, but it has a few holes and cutouts for the installation on the Giles and it of course is already cut to fit the fuselage. I have not made a cowling before and not sure if I could glue pieces to it and end up with a good cowl. The process looks somewhat straight forward and I already have done some fiberglassing using the West system.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:12 AM
prgonzalez

winglift,

I still have one of the test FG cowls I did when learning this stuff. It is not perfect but it will serve its purpose. I can give it to you if you cover for the shipping and materials. It has not been cut. You can use it in your Giles or you can prepare it to be a plug.

Let me know if you want it.

Pedro
Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 PM
winglift

ORIGINAL: prgonzalez

winglift,

I still have one of the test FG cowls I did when learning this stuff. It is not perfect but it will serve its purpose. I can give it to you if you cover for the shipping and materials. It has not been cut. You can use it in your Giles or you can prepare it to be a plug.

Let me know if you want it.

Pedro
Pedro, That is very generous of you and that may work okay, but I assume that it has some imperfections that you did not want to use it? .Send me a private email and I will give you my address and let me know what you want for shipping.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:52 AM
prgonzalez

Just sent you a PM.