Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Fiberglassing questions: Why Bondo Specifically and Regarding Seams and now, more

Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fiberglassing questions: Why Bondo Specifically and Regarding Seams and now, more

Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 PM
nwadc10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Fiberglassing questions: Why Bondo Specifically and Regarding Seams and now, more

ORIGINAL: jroth
here are photos of the epoxy stand:
Awesome, I was just reorganizing my hobby shop tonight and thought of asking if you might still have the plans for that holder. This will work, maybe a project for tomorrow! Thanks for the photos!
Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 AM
jroth
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Fiberglassing questions: Why Bondo Specifically and Regarding Seams and now, more

Justin,

Sorry, buy we just made them, I do not have any plans.

The two horizontal pieces at 5"x5" and the verticle is 5"x7".

Post a picture when you build it.

Good Luck,

John
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM
nwadc10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No worries on the plans, those photos will do! I planned to do that a couple days ago but Igot side tracked upgrading my hobby shop instead. I added a bench top band saw and a dust collection system. So along with that Ihad to build another workbench to hold it along with my belt/disc sander that Ialready had. I wrapped that up yesterday but now I've got to go to work tomorrow so I may have to wait until the weekend to do this epoxy holder project. I will be sure to upload pics when Ihave it completed.

On another note to all, following the advice of many I did order that gram scale that we were talking about.Much to my surprise, that thing is tiny! lol For 5/15/30 minute epoxy would weighing it be better than mixing by volume? I ask because some epoxies I've heard are mixed properly by volume and some by weight, which one is best for our common epoxies?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 AM
wyowindworks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On another note to all, following the advice of many I did order that gram scale that we were talking about.Much to my surprise, that thing is tiny! lol For 5/15/30 minute epoxy would weighing it be better than mixing by volume? I ask because some epoxies I've heard are mixed properly by volume and some by weight, which one is best for our common epoxies?
You can mix them volume or by weight. Theoretically the mix ratio by weight would be differenct than the 50:50 by volume. I have no idea what the mix ratio by weight is for those type of resins. You could figure it out be weighing an equal volume of each part. The larger the volume the more accurate you will be in determining the correct mix ratio by weight.

Adam

Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 PM
kenh3497

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nwadc10

I picked up a small pack of .75 oz fiberglass cloth,

If you get to liking the fiberglass thing go here ( http://thayercraft.com/ ) and get four or five guys to go in with you. And yes it is 60 feet long!! Four of us split up a roll of cloth. It worked out to about $12 each for a "lifetime" supply of cloth. I'm sure some guys would use up the whole roll in a week though

Ken
Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 AM
nwadc10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

John, I finished the epoxy holder. I painted it and had my wife do the labeling after my ugly attempt on the "5's". Here are a couple photos. Thanks again for the photo details.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58204.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1720693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38852.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1720694  
Old 01-29-2012, 04:21 PM
jroth
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice Job!

You made mine look bad, oh well, they still work.

Thanks for sharing,

John
Old 11-28-2012, 02:19 PM
OLDFIN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Justin   I am new to fiberglassing airplanes too, I came across this site by invertmast that gave good results with little sanding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8EmF...feature=fvwrel

I'm working on a Pica Duellist and still trying to learn more techniques.  I am looking for how to glass in solid balsa panels like stabs or if it is needed.

John
Old 11-28-2012, 02:25 PM
OLDFIN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Justin   I am new to fiberglassing airplanes too, I came across this site by invertmast that gave good results with little sanding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8EmF...feature=fvwrel  The twist in this method was using 100% polyester cloth over the glass, squeegied in on top of the wet glass cloth.  Pull it off after cure, and there is very little sanding left to do, and almost no seams.

I'm working on a Pica Duellist and still trying to learn more techniques.  I am looking for how to glass in solid balsa panels like stabs or if it is needed.

John
Old 11-28-2012, 02:37 PM
sensei

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's just one more form of peel ply on the market, generally used for secondary bond line areas of composite substrates.

Bob