Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

world tex info needed

looking for a alternative of glassing a giant scale model. Is World Tex and SIG Koverall sand-able, what about the application, is it difficult?, will it take any kind of paint?
    thanks for all who reply

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: world tex info needed

I've never used World Tex, but have used Koverall. I'm guessing they are one in the same product. Both would use dope as an adhering agent and weave filler. IMO this would be a heavier finishing method than glass. If the model you are working on is a fabric covered (fullscale) then by all means use the fabric. If course the glass cannot be used on open framework so the fabric would be the obvious choice there.

Hope this helps!

Ken
    Sent from my Dry-Erase-Board

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: world tex info needed

Ken is right about the Tex covering being probably heavier and open vs. sheeted structure. The old world Tex I remember was an iron-on application and Sig requires an adhaesive be added. I use solartex which is an iron on product. I am not good at sanding this product. On open structure I tend to sand through it, or cut it at ribs and stringers. For me the edges tend to fray and require several applications of dope and sanding to eliminate the roughness. I much prefer glass on sheeted structure.
    Solartex will take most paints; I have successfully used nitrate dope, latex, Klass Kote, and Rustoleum over it.
    Chuck