Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Adhesive Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Adhesive Question?

ORIGINAL: Roguedog

Bob,

Great tip for a fast put together.

Just so you know there is a difference between using CA and epoxy. I doubt I will convince you but using CA as a laminating resin in the way you suggest will work for small parts that do hot require structural strength. The problem with CA is when you spray it with kicker it becones very brittle. Letting the CA dry without the kicker would be only slightly better for structural strength.

For structural strength nothing beats epoxy other wise CA would be the goto glue for carbon fiber wings for the stealth figher and bomber instead of epoxy.

Actually I stated that CA is the way to go for repairs, and believe it or not, CA and glass lay-up is much more structural than you may know but it is not practical to perform a full lay-up utilizing CA. If I were to manufacture new components then I would go with room temp epoxy or preferably pre-preg layups. You see, I have made my living in the aerospace composites industry for nearly 40 years now, and I am still currently at it as the Vice President of Jeff Bonner Research & Development Inc.

Bob
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Bob!
Is that last post suppose to mean something. Don't you know these day's nobody know's anything and everyone know's everything.
SORRY, could not resist. People like myself appreciate people like you and the other's on this thread.
Thank's
Old 11-13-2012, 04:56 PM
wyowindworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CA isn't that brittle when it's reinforced with fiber.  You can bend it in a very tight radius and the CA doesn't fracture.  It works great for doing field fixes and repairs.  I've fixed fuses that were broke in half with fiberglass and CA and when they get smacked again they break somewhere else.  I will often mist the glass with 3M Super 77, work it into position and then saturate it with thin CA.  Get your nose ready because the fumes can knock you on your butt. 

CA could be  used more broadly in composites if you could extend and control the cure.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Roguedog

Wow. Pedigree and all.

I guess we should just tell him to forget using the T-88 and use CA and spray it with gobbs ofacceleratoras the structual adhesive. Then tell everybody else that askes about epoxy adhesiveto just use CA. Who knew! You learn something new everyday.

God job guys. He's probably more confused now than when he asked. So much for those who have years of experience in the industry. I guess its more important to talk about yourself and how your more right than the other guy then to help a fellow modeler and answer his question. At least I shared what my experience is and how it applied to his question.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:49 PM
sensei

ORIGINAL: Roguedog

Wow. Pedigree and all.

I guess we should just tell him to forget using the T-88 and use CA and spray it with gobbs of accelerator as the structual adhesive. Then tell everybody else that askes about epoxy adhesive to just use CA. Who knew! You learn something new everyday.

God job guys. He's probably more confused now than when he asked. So much for those who have years of experience in the industry. I guess its more important to talk about yourself and how your more right than the other guy then to help a fellow modeler and answer his question. At least I shared what my experience is and how it applied to his question.

Wow, talk about some panties getting wadded up... LOL

Bob
Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Roguedog

That's what I was thinking, about the previous posts, right before my last post. But I thought I would be the grown up and just try to mention that no one else really offered an opinion other than to promote CA Glue which of course had nothing to do with the question reaaz had asked in the first place.

reaazasked aquestion that was about System Three's T-88 adhesive NOT the wonders of using CA Glue. I'm sorry that you felt the need to talk about wadded panties, but it sounds like maybe you have had a lot of experience in that department.

He asked a question about T-88 and you still have yet to offer any critique on what he was asking. For someonethat has the pedigre u say you have I would think you could have easily added to or subtracted from my opinion on whether T-88 is a good or bad product. You did not even try and went immediately to talk ablut CA. Next when I tryed to point out that you where off the current topic and that CAadhesive was not thecurrent topicit seems like your the one who got upset and yet you still have yet to offer an opinion on T-88.

Most people when they don't know anything about a product or process will chose not to offer an opinion lest being exposed as being foolish.
It's almost like your upset that I answered the question before you had chance to offer your pearls of wisdom, of which is yet to be seen. This is not a competition on who's got the most experienceor the best advice. I was just trying to help out a fellow modeler and you felt the need to present your credentials. Hmmm. How does that help reaaz decide to use or not use T-88?

If you have some wisdom to offer on T-88, OFFERIT, otherwise don't answer. Quitesimple frommy point of view.

unsubscibed from this thread to avoid any further arguement.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 PM
wyowindworks

Actually, the very first post in this thread was about CA. 80% of this thread is off topic........including T-88
Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 AM
sensei

Read the the very first post in this thread down below, I also realized that thread was about CA so I gave my imput, that is when you decided to jump in give me some of your vast wisdom of a mere 10 years or less on the subject of composites LOL. I do believe that those asking questions on these forums should check out the credentials of those posting answers because there is just too much misinformation be posted by beginners, I mean it is like the blind leading the blind...

Well, I thought I was in good shape when I bought my repair CA glue for repairs as needed. Was reading my Stinson manual and it said repairs can be made with CA, hot glue, Krazy glue, etc. Why do some planes REQUIRE the use of CA and not others? What is the differemce?
[/quote]

Bob