Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Tool Curing Temp?

I am going to use some pre-preg in a soft tool I've been using for a while. The tool is 30 layers of 3k using Aero O Poxy with a Cab O Sil tool coat. Also, I have added graphite powder to the tool coat to give it a black finish and help with the release. I have only used this tool for RT cures. My pre-preg needs to ramp up to 250F, has anyone used a fiberglass tool at this temp? If so what are your results?

Thanks in advance!

Brian-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tool Curing Temp?

Brian, by looking at the product bulletins, it sounds like the Tg (glass transition temp) of Aeropoxy is 196-208*F.  I don't think that the Aeropoxy will perform well above that.  You could end-up ruining your tool.  The Tg is the point at which the resin changes from a hard substance to an elastic rubbery one.

It is quite possible to create a composite tool that will perform well up to 400*F but it requires that the tool be constructed with a high temp resin.

The tool also needs to undergo an elevated temperature curing regimen to maximize the tooling resins Tg.

Adam