Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Tool Curing Temp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:00 PM
B Shipp
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool Curing Temp?

I am going to use some pre-preg in a soft tool I've been using for a while. The tool is 30 layers of 3k using Aero O Poxy with a Cab O Sil tool coat. Also, I have added graphite powder to the tool coat to give it a black finish and help with the release. I have only used this tool for RT cures. My pre-preg needs to ramp up to 250F, has anyone used a fiberglass tool at this temp? If so what are your results?

Thanks in advance!

Brian-
Old 03-10-2012, 03:45 PM
wyowindworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tool Curing Temp?

Brian, by looking at the product bulletins, it sounds like the Tg (glass transition temp) of Aeropoxy is 196-208*F.  I don't think that the Aeropoxy will perform well above that.  You could end-up ruining your tool.  The Tg is the point at which the resin changes from a hard substance to an elastic rubbery one.

It is quite possible to create a composite tool that will perform well up to 400*F but it requires that the tool be constructed with a high temp resin.

The tool also needs to undergo an elevated temperature curing regimen to maximize the tooling resins Tg.

Adam