Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Substitute to 1-8 balsa planking

I was wondering if anyone have a suggestion for a composite substitute to 1-8 balsa planking on a fuselage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Substitute to 1-8 balsa planking

Since nobody else jumped in......
    I have been searching for easier and more efficient skinning products for some time. I had been aware of Fiberglass G-10 FR4 sheets available in either 3x4 or 4x4 panels for awhile but the cost made me shy away. But recently , after extensive searching, I found sources for the sheet at about half price from retail. I bought 11 4x4' sheets for around $325 as I recall, in various thicknesses.
    I am getting ready to build a Ziroli Skyraider with foam core wings and stab that I have adjusted to be thicker as compensation for the very thin fiberglass. I will be using .010" skins and will also add a few spars but nothing too serious as the foam will keep the skin quite rigid, same as full scale stressed skin construction. The 1/6 Skyraider would have exactly 6 times (.063" aluminum) the thickness for the skins or thinner.
    I have a friend who is doing his Skyraider wings and control surfaces with the G-10 over built up structure. He has a build thread on RC Scale builder, in the Ziroli section, under "Medal of honor Skyraider". You can see how he applies his skins. I also plan to do a build thread there to show the foam wing sheeting. I hate building wings so I plan to do as many of my future projects this way in the future.
    I hope this will help you,
    Brad

Brad

Thank you kindly!!!!

Exactely what I'm looking for!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought the reason for planking is for compound curves and then sanding the balsa smooths the shape. I dont see how glass fiber sheets can be used four compound curves.
    Happy Flying!