Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

How to... Wing tube

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 08:56 PM
macro-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to... Wing tube

Hi to all, I want to know if anybody knows how to make a carbon fiber wing tube; I have great results making my own phenolic socket for aluminum tube but it is too heavy for some planes, so any help will be apreciated.

macro.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Ed Smith

Default Fibreglass Tubes

I have made a number of glass tubes. Here is what I did, I am sure there are other methods.

I am Assuming you know all about applying release agents.

Using a rod of the desired diameter lay up a layer of 2oz cloth around the rod. When it has cured slit along the length and pop it loose, it is now released from the rod. Replace the tube back on the rod and carefully tack the join with 5 minute epoxy, fill the join. Ensure the tube is still released from the rod. Build up to required thickness with the composite of your choice.

Ed S
Old 09-01-2003, 12:15 PM
Terryoc

I also make tubes out out fiberglass but so far only 3/8" and 1/2" . The internal tube I wish to mold around gets about 5 coats of wax and then at least 2 layers of 2oz or 3.5oz satin depending on use . I alway heat cure the layup before the epoxy has set to expand the inner tube slightly .Once cured I hold the inner in a vice or in my hand and twist the outer by hand or with pliers gentle and they have always come off a very good fit .
Terry
Old 09-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Ed Smith

Default Fibreglass Tubes

Yet another method I thought of after reading Terry's. I have not tried this but have been told it works.

Lay up the tube in the usual manner. Let it cure thoroughly. Place it in the freezer. The metal contracting will pop it loose from the glass.

Now this is something I would try with a small piece first!

Ed S
Old 09-01-2003, 02:17 PM
Terryoc

Good one Ed that is something I will try for sure as it had never crossed my mind before reading it .
Must not be enough rum in my system to be as smart as you
Thanks Terry
PS. I miss all the good reading you provided on the old NMPRA forum
Old 09-01-2003, 06:25 PM
macro-RCU

Interestin about freezer system, I'll try today.
Any way, I want help about make the inner tube (the aluminum tube) but with composites (carbon fiber).
I'm in Mexico and is very expensive to buy here, for example at PBG Composites, because shippment and taxes are bigger.

Any idea?

PS. I'll really make freezer system today.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Terryoc

I have a friend that makes something like what you are after he makes 1 1/4" diameter carbon tube for catermaran rudder control.
He made a mold of an exsisting tube size that he wanted .He then gets a skinny push bike tube cut close to the valve and seals both openings puts a small amount of air in the tube to get shape and starts layup of 300 gram unidirectional carbon once around lengh ways and holds this in place with masking tape . He then slides carbon sock over the top of this removing tape from the uni as he moves along . Once the sock is on and streched out to suit the diameter he is using he then adds resin by brush working it through all the carbon he then lets the air out of the tube then into the mold which has a small hole at one end for the valve to come out . Once the mold is all bolted up he blows the tube back up I think to 5 to 10psi.
The tubes he does are 6 foot long and I think he saves about 5oz so really I consider it more cosmetic than weight saving.
Hope this helps
Terry.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:27 PM
macro-RCU

OK, I need buy carbon sock.....

I'll find and send you results.