Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

glassing smal parts

how do you fiberglas small parts, as Tail Wheel Doors etc. with small hinges? Are there any tricks?
    Thinking on using .75 oz Cloth and Z-poxy, this is my first attempt on glassing a model.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: glassing smal parts

I lay the part on something so it is supported off the table. Lay the cloth on and brush on some epoxy. You may have to hold it in you hand to get the epoxy on the part but put it back on the supporting object to cure. I usually don't get to anal with having the minimum amount of epoxy on small items as the weight difference is not all that great. You can sand a small surface quickly to remove the excess. With that said, I dislike sanding, so I try to get the minimum on the first time.

Ken
    Sent from my Dry-Erase-Board

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Like what Ken says!

Sometimes if it is really small I just use fiberglass and CA. I spread the CA with a mixing stick. Typically finish in a few minutes and ready for sanding and primering.
    Happy Flying!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just recently used CA glue for the first time, on a fiberglass fuselage that had a small crack. Two layers of 5 oz. glass with gap-filling CA. I used my fingers to spread it evenly and then sprayed it with insta-set. It workes great.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For small parts think is best to use polyurthane water base. You make less of mess.

Recently covered a small jet and started with epoxy and finished with PU water based(minwax brand).

Try it before in some smples to master the technic.