Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brush cleaners from resins

Lately this thought have been coming to mind, there has to be a way to save and reuse brushes after they have been used to apply resins (Epoxy resins in my case) on the molds or projects. Does anyone know of any thinners or any other cleaners that will cut resins off from brushes, clean then so they could be reused again n again instead of chucking them in bin after 1 use....
    I do believe in KISS (Keep it simple silly), but doesn\'\'t mean my models fall in this category!
    CUB BROTHERHOOD# 173

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Brush cleaners from resins

I have a tall jar with about 2" of denatured alcohol in the bottom. I just squeeze the end of the brush with a paper towel to remove the excess resin and put it in the jar and swiish it around. I just store the brishs in the jar. Ipull it out about 10 minutes before I expect to use to let it dry off. You can use acetone too but it will get really stinky and rotton smelling. The denatured alcohol works just as well but doesn't get the stink.

Viniger also works well for cleaning up resin and is safe for most paints that are on parts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I buy cheap brushes in bulk packets. throw them away after use. Cheaper than the thinners necessary to clean them.

Ed S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used to do that as well until I just started to soak them. 2" of denatured alcohol in the bottom of jar lasts for a month in my production setting. Last year I spent $45 in bulk brushes by cleaning them. The year before I spent $190 by going disposable. I didn't go through a gallon of denatured alcohol ($17) by cleaning them. Maybe for the occassional user it wouldn't matter much. In a production setting the savings is far worth it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

I buy cheap brushes in bulk packets. throw them away after use. Cheaper than the thinners necessary to clean them.

Ed S
    Been doing that Ed but seeing these perfectly nice re-usable brushes going into bit after 1 use, i like to save them if i can and least use them few times each.....
    I do believe in KISS (Keep it simple silly), but doesn\'\'t mean my models fall in this category!
    CUB BROTHERHOOD# 173

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wyowindworks,

I'll try ur denatured alcohol technique and see if can save these cheapos even to use few times b4 chucking them...
    CUB BROTHERHOOD# 173

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use the alcohol method too but I clip them so the end of the brush is off the bottom of the container. The epoxy slides of the brush and accumulates and sets up in the bottom of the jar.
    SidGates
    Web: http://www.sidgates.us

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Put them in the freezer. Takes a few minutes of brushing to thaw them out, but the freezer stops the curing process cold.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have used the alcohol technique but does not work very well.
    So now I have been using a little lacquer thinner straight from the can, drop the brushes inside fro a few minutes then hand clean. Works great. Been re-using my brushes many times over.
    Works on laminating resin, epoxy, fiber glass polyester.

Orlando