Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Where to get 3" thick EPS in Nebraska?

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Where to get 3" thick EPS in Nebraska?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:26 AM
le fou
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get 3" thick EPS in Nebraska?

Hi,

I am looking for a EPS supplier in Nebraska. I need a sheet (white foam, density 1lb) that is at least 3" thick.

Thanks,

Le fou
Old 01-04-2010, 03:28 PM
tschmidt
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Where to get 3

Le fou,

ACH has a plant in Kansas City which is where I get mine. Make sure you specify you want virgin foam if you use them. They will cut the pieces to your specs, however they have a $250.00 minimum order.

Todd Schmidt
Old 01-07-2010, 03:51 PM
icerinkdad

Since 2" foam is easy to come by in Omaha why not laminate two pieces together?
Bob Furr
Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM
flexsphincter

carpenter foam in nc will mail to you.....but .check out eifs distributers in your area ...ie dryvit ,sto. there is probably a distributer in your area and will sell you a bundle of pieces in a
2'x2'x4' for about 30-40 dollars, cut pieces from 1 inch 1 1/2" 2" and 3" they fill the bundle with the pieces.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:24 AM
JRgraham
My Feedback: (1)

I am about to try that very thing. Lowes and Home Depot both carry the white foam now, along with the typical heavy weight blue and pink stuff. The pound rating on the sheet (4x8) states 0.7 - 2.0 Lbs p/sq foot. They only stock up to 2 inch. My wings typically are 2-2.5 inch thickness.

Has anyone tried laminating sheets of foam, and cut cores from it? If so, what would the better lamination glue to use that would not interrupt the hot wire foam cutter?

Iwas intending on first testing a light misted coat of some contact adhesive spray. My idea is you only need the sheets to barley stick well enough to not slide out of place.

This method would enable a 4x8 sheet of 0.7 - 2.0 Lbs per/sq foot at roughly 30-35$ and local pickup.

Feedback?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:05 AM
rchotdoger

I have laminated foam together but use gorilla glue not epoxy. Epoxy dries brittle i lost an extra that way. Insulfoam in Mead NE, give em a call they are pretty good and have really high quality foam.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:39 AM
jp1961

A hot stainless wire will cut through Gorilla glue,,,you might experience more resistance when you cut throught it, but it will cut with a hot wire (I tried it on a sample).

Jeff
Old 03-11-2012, 06:19 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Place the lamination in the center of the wing panel. Unless you have a very under cambered wing, you'll never have to cut the glue joint
Old 06-09-2012, 09:32 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Shimano

I am about to try that very thing. Lowes and Home Depot both carry the white foam now, along with the typical heavy weight blue and pink stuff. The pound rating on the sheet (4x8) states 0.7 - 2.0 Lbs p/sq foot. They only stock up to 2 inch. My wings typically are 2-2.5 inch thickness.

Has anyone tried laminating sheets of foam, and cut cores from it? If so, what would the better lamination glue to use that would not interrupt the hot wire foam cutter?

I was intending on first testing a light misted coat of some contact adhesive spray. My idea is you only need the sheets to barley stick well enough to not slide out of place.

This method would enable a 4x8 sheet of 0.7 - 2.0 Lbs per/sq foot at roughly 30-35$ and local pickup.

Feedback?

The foam I've purchased from Home Depot tends to be punky, easily falling apart at slight pressure. It's pretty cheap stuff. The beads are just not held together well.

For structural applications such as wings-stabs, we need better foam quality. I purchased some a few months ago from an outfit whose name escapes me. I should have the box the foam came in and a name should be on there. I'll post when I find it.

I ordered on-line, no minimum as I recall, shipping was quite reasonable, right to my door. Density was exactly 1 pound and the beads hold together better than any other 1 pound density foam I've used. Oh yeah, thickness was listed anywhere from 1/2" to 4 feet. Cutting was to order

Old 06-14-2012, 02:18 AM
BFoote

flyingfoam.com
It is EPP of VARIOUS densities.

Either they will cut it or you can buy the sheets direct from them. Was reasonable last time I ordered. 5 years ago. =)

Or, when you laminate normal cheep foam, you know where the wire cutter is going and just do NOT put glue on this small section. Glue the rest.

EDIT: For thick standard styrofoam, go to your roofing supplier. 4, 6, 8, 12 or 24 inch or greater foam is not uncommon to find at the local roofing supply houses.