Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Repair stinger on carbon fiber muffler

The stinger on my carbon fiber muffler is hanging on by a small amount; it has side to side movement along with up and down movement. I have tried to repair it but without success.
    I have used epoxy with carbon fiber strips attached to the stinger. But the heat of the exhaust coming from the YS engine softens the epoxy. I have also tried laminating resin, same result.
    I have also tried JB weld with the same results.
    My latest attempt was to use Form-a-gasket, which stated it could sustain 600 degrees F, but the adhesive liquified. It was also suppose to be resistant to solvents. I had used this in the past on auto engine repairs and it did work.

I am in need of some help along the lines of suggetions for a repair other than buying a new muffler.

Thanks in advance.

Orlando

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Repair stinger on carbon fiber muffler

Try E6000. You can get it At wall mart. In craft section worked geat in ducted fans n
    don\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'cry\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\' till\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'it hits

Since you posted in the composites section I'll give you a composites answer.

How hot does it get?

There are some epoxy laminating that are designed for high temp use. Some will handle 500*F. They key is that these resins must be cured properly. If you just heat them up right away the resin will get soft and the cure will not progress properly due to a lot of molecular suspesion. You will need to let the resin set up at room temp and then slowly raise the temps (15*F per hour) until you get within 15*F of the operating temperature. You then will hold it at this temp for around 12 hours and slowly cool it down. When looking for high temp. resins you want to look at the Glass Transition Temperature (Tg) of the specific resin. Most room temp cured epoxies only have a Tg around 125*F. Some vinyl ester resin can have a Tg of 200*F with just a room temp cure. All epoxy resins that have a Tg potential above 125*F will require a careful elevated temperature cure. The manufacturer should be able to provide an curing regimen to properly cure the resin so it can handle the higher temps. Resins like West Systems can only handle temps of around 135*F even if you heat cure it.

If the temps are above 450*F or so you should just buy a new muffler. It might be cheaper to just buy a new one anyway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The muf is probably made with bismaleimide (BMI) resin which would require steps that Wyo stated above. the only solution I can think of is to make some type of mechanical repair like a  aluminum flange with screws or something. as a last ditch you might try a high temp silicone adhesive (like you get at the autoparts store), scuff the surfaces and make sure they are clean. this will provide a flexible joint that may help

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Give ES composites a call and see if they can replace the end cap for you.
    Of course it's true, I read it on the Internet.