Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

3M Resin

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 3M Resin

Hello, I had a crash with an EDF l-39 made by HET. I believe it is epoxy resin. However, I need to do lots of repair work so I went to walmart and got 3M Fiberglass resin and 3m Fiberglass. From my understanding this is polyester resin.

Does anyone know if this will work ok for the repairs? lots of rips to fix in the glass, very few holes. Just need to sew the seams back together!

Never used it before, I usually use zpoxy but its too darn expensive for what I am doing.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:07 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 3M Resin

If it is epoxy, you want to use epoxy.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM
wyowindworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fiberglass resin is polyester. Polyester is very poor at making repairs, regardless of the substrate. Delamination and failed bonds are likely. Epoxy should be your first choice for making repairs even if the existing part is made from polyester.

There are quite a few companies like West Systems and Adtech that will sell their laminating epoxies in quarts.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:50 AM
essyou35

I have bob smith 30 minute and 20 minute epoxies, as well as Z-poxy. Are any of these suitable? I guesss I have used them all in the past but trying to find the best thing to use to repair structural fiberglass damage (rips).

I found tha thet epoxies I have never seem to be like the epoxy that is used to make the jet.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 AM
wyowindworks

The best way to make the repair is with a laminating resin. This is different than a bonding resin like the Bob Smith stuff.

West Systems 105 is a laminating epoxy resin that is available at many marine shops. You can order Adtech 820 directly from the distributer - http://www.adtechplastics.com/pc-64-...ng-system.aspx

US Composites 635 laminating epoxy is available from - http://uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

Some premium epoxy resins would be MGS L285 and Proset.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:07 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wyowindworks

US Composites 635 laminating epoxy is available from - http://uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

Some premium epoxy resins would be MGS L285 and Proset.
I purchased the min buy of 635 from US Composites a few months ago and have to say this stuff works better than expected. Cures hard and strong enough for landing gear struts for 2 meter Pattern models. It has medium-low viscosity but wets glass and carbon quite well. Cures are room conditions in a reasonable amount of time. The epoxy is very inexpensive as epoxies go...

Pro Set has been a favorite for many years but it is pricy....It is some of the least viscous epoxy you will find, a cinch for wetting glass, kevlar and carbon. Finshed parts are strong and stiff even with no post cure, although higher temp exposure helps the cure time. Three different hardeners available depending on the working time one wants. I tend to use the slow curing and heat the parts to accelerate cure.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 PM
essyou35

I picked up the west system epoxy and fast hardener, is that stuff good?
Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
wyowindworks

The West Systems 105 system is just fine. There are oodles of structures in the RC world that were constructed from it. Is the fast hardener going to give enough working time?