Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

boring carbon prop

fficedocumentsettings>fficedocumentsettings>

What have you done? I have a couple of PT carbon props and need to enlarge center hole from 6mm to 8mm. I’ve never drilled in carbon before and better safe than sorry. I have an 8mm drill and always use a backing board for drill through most materials.verridetablestylehps>verridetablestylehps>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: boring carbon prop

fficedocumentsettings>fficedocumentsettings>verridetablestylehps>verridetablestylehps>

You can drill carbon fiber with just a regular drill bit used to drill metal. Backing the hole is always a good idea.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why would you not use a prop reamer? I drill bit isn't going to center the hole as well as a prop reamer would.

Joel
    Maker of fine kindling

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yojoelay

Why would you not use a prop reamer? I drill bit isn't going to center the hole as well as a prop reamer would.

Joel
    Either a prop reamer or drill press and drill bit work fine. Even a hand drill and drill bit work fine since the bit will self center on an existing hole. The better method is the drill press assuming the stage is square to the drill bit. Windyworks is correct on the type of drill bit....a standard high speed drill bit works fine
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A drill bit can "walk" off center, especially in really hard material. Thankfully, model engine props aren't that hard to drill. I have alot of oddball sized prop shafts on various engines. There are times at the field where I have taken a drill bit, held it firmly with a pair of pliers and then rotated the prop by hand down the drill bit. Usually the application is for the odd sized little engines that have no true standard shaft sizes.
    No doubt that a reamer is the most fool proof way to go, but I can not think of any time that using a drill bit has failed me..
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If ypu have to drill out the hole in any prop may I suggest you do the following. Grind the sharp edge off the cutting edge of the prop. This will prevent the drill from"grabbing" and drilling off centre.

Ed S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

But it is going to dull the bit like no other material. Bit will probably still be usable for wood probably.
    P-40 Brotherhood #112