Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

kevlar vs peel ply hinges

For scored hinges used on large throw control surfaces(like 45 degree flaps), what's the preferred method for composite hinge material? Is there another material?

What thickness then? I once did kevlar hinges with 0.003 material and it seemed they might not last.
    P-40 Brotherhood #112

RE: kevlar vs peel ply hinges

I prefer kevlar.  You want to cut the strips on bias.  1.7 ounce (.003") can work but they can break on  impact.  5 ounce is a little beefy and makes a bump on bagged foam core wings.  5 ounce works great on molded wings.

Since peel-ply doesn't bond well with resin it's prone to delaminating.  There are quite a few manufacturers who have used it though.  It's just not my preference.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wyo, indeed it looks like the wing I have, on close examination, used peel ply. The material is almost a perfect match to a supplier of peel ply(easy composites in the UK). The peel ply has a red marking on it which is the giveaway. Probably meant to help differentiate it from fiberglass in the cured product.
    BTW, on a old thread you had a video on vimeo about skin hinges. But it is no longer. Do you have the video still?
    Thanks,
    P-40 Brotherhood #112

Is this the video you were looking for?  https://vimeo.com/2368007

It does contain a portion near the end about how to do the hinge.  This is an excerpt from a video for a specific plane from long ago.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice. grinding down the file to the first set of teeth is a good idea as well as well as the paper towel prepped in the bag. Wrestling with breather is never fun if the epoxy is starting to cure.
    P-40 Brotherhood #112