Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

kevlar vs peel ply hinges

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

kevlar vs peel ply hinges

Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kevlar vs peel ply hinges

For scored hinges used on large throw control surfaces(like 45 degree flaps), what's the preferred method for composite hinge material? Is there another material?

What thickness then? I once did kevlar hinges with 0.003 material and it seemed they might not last.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 PM
wyowindworks

Default RE: kevlar vs peel ply hinges

I prefer kevlar.  You want to cut the strips on bias.  1.7 ounce (.003") can work but they can break on  impact.  5 ounce is a little beefy and makes a bump on bagged foam core wings.  5 ounce works great on molded wings.

Since peel-ply doesn't bond well with resin it's prone to delaminating.  There are quite a few manufacturers who have used it though.  It's just not my preference.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 AM
dbsonic

wyo, indeed it looks like the wing I have, on close examination, used peel ply. The material is almost a perfect match to a supplier of peel ply(easy composites in the UK). The peel ply has a red marking on it which is the giveaway. Probably meant to help differentiate it from fiberglass in the cured product.
BTW, on a old thread you had a video on vimeo about skin hinges. But it is no longer. Do you have the video still?
Thanks,
Old 01-31-2013, 05:27 PM
wyowindworks

Is this the video you were looking for?  https://vimeo.com/2368007

It does contain a portion near the end about how to do the hinge.  This is an excerpt from a video for a specific plane from long ago.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM
dbsonic

Very nice. grinding down the file to the first set of teeth is a good idea as well as well as the paper towel prepped in the bag. Wrestling with breather is never fun if the epoxy is starting to cure.