Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Glass for weight?

Old 09-16-2003, 07:17 AM
YS-I-DO
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Glass for weight?

Is it a bad idea to lay glass on the inside of my engine cowl to help balance my plane? I like the idea of the extra strength it would provide, but I realize that the weight would be permanent, unless I bought another cowl. Just wondering if anyone else has done this......
Old 09-18-2003, 02:32 PM
Mel Francis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Glass for weight?

The primary weight in your layup will be the resin itself, and might surprise you with how much volume of resin and glass might have to be added to the cowl to achieve balance.

A piece of lead, as from a fishing line sinker, flattened and bolted to the inside of the engine bulkhead might achieve the same effect with less volume.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:08 PM
majortom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Glass for weight?

You won't get much weight from the epoxy, but maybe you don't need much. If you have to add more than an ounce or so, I'd rather have as much as possible be useful weight as opposed to mere balancing weight. I've reinforced a few ARF cowls with a layer of 2 oz glass and epoxy just for the strength, and been glad I did, since my cowls take a beating. If you need a few ounces or more, consider re-mounting the engine further out on the beams, or put stand-offs between firewall and engine mount, to get balance without adding dead weight.