Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Which is Lighter, ABS or Fiberglass Cowling

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Which is Lighter, ABS or Fiberglass Cowling

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:07 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which is Lighter, ABS or Fiberglass Cowling

I'm in the process of building a Sig Kougar and was wondering if anyone knows which cowling would be lighter. I like fiberglass cowls better as I think they are stronger, and they are not as thick either, making the fuselage to cowl joint easier to level out.

I saw one for this kit offered from Fiberglass Specialties and thought about ordering.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Default RE: Which is Lighter, ABS or Fiberglass Cowling

Fiberglass is your better choice all the way around. Strength, lighter and will hold up to paint much better. Will also stand a great heat build up under it. Easier to repair as well. Craig has great pride in what he makes and is made right.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:47 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Glass. Nose weight a big plus.

Steve
Old 04-06-2013, 06:58 AM
bchapman

That's what I thought. I just received a Top Flight T-34 Cowling and tail cone from Craig and the quality was very good. It fit like a glove. I'll definitely be using him for all future projects.

Brian
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well this confirms my thinking. I have a CG Super Chipmunk kit I am building and was thinking of making a mold of the cowl, and making a fiberglass cowl instead for it.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:09 PM
BillS

ORIGINAL: bchapman

I'm in the process of building a Sig Kougar and was wondering if anyone knows which cowling would be lighter. I like fiberglass cowls better as I think they are stronger, and they are not as thick either, making the fuselage to cowl joint easier to level out.

I saw one for this kit offered from Fiberglass Specialties and thought about ordering.
The cowl that comes with the Kougar kit is 2.0 oz. before fitting and they are available separately. Why not use the real thing. The Kouger cowls seem to last forever.

The Kougar and King Kobra cowels are the same

Bill
Old 08-02-2013, 05:59 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a fan of replacing plastic whenever possible, but Bill is right about the Kougar cowl. They do seem to hold up extremely well. In fact Sig Plastic parts seem to be a pretty decent quality overall. Now the old Goldberg plastic parts were complete and utter crap. Midwest was atrocious as well.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffH
I am a fan of replacing plastic whenever possible, but Bill is right about the Kougar cowl. They do seem to hold up extremely well. In fact Sig Plastic parts seem to be a pretty decent quality overall. Now the old Goldberg plastic parts were complete and utter crap. Midwest was atrocious as well.

Which is why I am making a mold from the one in the kit for the Chipmunk. Now if I can figure out how to make the wheel pants, they are a bit on the small side.