Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: foam coating

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

foam coating

OK guys help an old man out what is the brush/spray coating that is sold to be a final surface prep on foam. Using this product gives a smooth, durable, and I think paintable surface. I've built some wing tip floats for a PBY and don't want to glass them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: foam coating

Try Liquid Sheet II from wowplanes.com

Jerry DeLuyck
    GetStencils.com - Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Roger, you really just can't beat glassing. Done correctly it would be less work then you think.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

*Roger, you really just can't beat glassing. Done correctly it would be less work then you think.

That is what Roger and I are afraid of!
    Jim Branaum AMA 1428
    Sig Brotherhood 30 Sig Kadet Brotherhood 99
    P-51 Brotherhood 53 P-38 Brotherhood 18 Club Saito 806
    Spitfire Brotherhood 204 P-40 Brotherhood 95

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim, I know that most guys are hesitant to break out the epoxy resin and glass cloth but once some simple skills are learned it will open up a whole new level to your modeling. For the job at hand all that one would need to do is finish sand the floats and cover them with some 2 or 3 oz fiberglass cloth. What I tell people is to think about it the same as you would if you were using Monokote. Take a sheet of cloth and lay it on the top of the float, saturate with as little amount of epoxy resin as possible. Trim any excess away with a pair of scissors and the wrap around the sides. To do that you will want to radius the corners a quarter inch or so. Next day put on a side then the other side and eventually the bottom. It takes a little time but the end result is well worth it. Once you get comfortable doing things like this you will be looking for areas in your builds to incorporate glasswork. A glassed surface is easier to paint and had great ding resistance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A couple tips that made dealing with glass easy for me were; lay down a large piece of cardboard to cut the glass on. You will be amazed at how well an xacto knife will cut glass with the cardboard backing. The next one is baby powder. I always hated getting sticky goopy hands and then the stringy mess as I worked. A douse of baby powder and rubbing my (gloved) hands together cleans them right up and I can keep working.

The last and maybe most important part, get some good epoxy that you are satisfied will work the way you want. Personally I have had excellent results with zero problems using West Systems. Nothing sucks more than to get a part all to shape and have the epoxy not kick and make a glommy mess.
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks fellas-I've been fiberglassing my planes for several years and the hints you gave are great thanks for sharing. I've ordered some of the Liquid sheeting II-I'm finishing up on a 6' PBM scratch build with electrics from Dymond USA and wanted to try this product to cover the nechelles and gloats. Good flyin'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56919.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	1885803  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I am looking at finishing an epo foam plane with liquid sheeting. Any thoughts from those that have used it. Pictures would be great if easily available. Thanks

Gene
    Boy I wish I hadn't done that!!