Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive setup for vacuum bagging

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Inexpensive setup for vacuum bagging

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:05 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Inexpensive setup for vacuum bagging

Inspired by a thread on another site, I put together this vacuum bagging setup from www.veneersupplies.com.

The pump is a rebuilt Thomas 3.15 CFM vacuum pump. Veneer Supplies has a number of bagging kits. I did the EVS Auto-Cycling kit with optional PVC tank kit. The rest of the items were purchased at the local hardware store.
Total cost was under $400. That was less than what most places sell a comparable pump. About the only other items you will need will be a port for your bag and bagging materials. The kit comes with a quick disconnect that will work with valve stem type ports.
The system has a MAC valve which unloads the vacuum on the pump between cycles making startups easier on the pump. It has an adjustable vacuum pressure regulator. The pump is capable of 25" of vacuum.
There are detailed construction instructions at http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/EVS/concept.htm.

Here are a couple of photos of my end results

And here are some photos of my first bag, a carbon-balsa-carbon panel.

This panel measures 6" x 6" x .165". made with 6, 2" x 3" pieces of end grain balsa that I cut from a scrap block and 5.2 oz plain weave carbon. I used West Systems 105 resin with 206 hardener.
The resulting panel weights 22 grams and is less than half the weight of a 6" x 6" x .125" birch 5 ply from Midwestern and is significantly stiffer and stronger.

Scott

Last edited by saramos; 10-08-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:22 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My buddy Dean built one of these on FG a couple of years ago, very nice system...

Bob