Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fiberglass Question

I posted this question in another forum, now I realize the wrong one. I am building a 60" wingspan Cessna T-50 (Sky King) The plans I have are from RCM, drawn in 1964. I am attempting to update them to newer technology.

The nacelles call to be planked with 1/8 balsa. I am new to this type of thing so I ask, if it's feasible to make the nacelle housing out of just fiberglass or should I plank it with the 1/8 balsa the cover it? I don't know if making the fiberglass only housing would cost strength or if it can be epoxied to maintain the strength it needs.

At this time I am using CAD to redraw the plans and if I can just use fiberglass for the nacelles , I need to know the approximate thickness the fiberglass should be so I can adjust size for the formers.

Any input would be helpful, thanks guys

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The easiest way to make the cowling would be to follow the plans, using the materials specified. Apply a layer of 3/4 oz glass cloth and a good resin, such as Pacer Z-Poxy, or West Systems 105 resin with 207 hardener.
    Sand, prime and paint.
    Harley Condra
    BVM REP, Skymaster REP, JetCat REP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Old, the conventional wisdom is that you can't put fiberglass over an open structure. So you need to either plank the model, or build a mold and layup a fiberglass nacelle.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbassard View Post
    I posted this question in another forum, now I realize the wrong one. I am building a 60" wingspan Cessna T-50 (Sky King) The plans I have are from RCM, drawn in 1964. I am attempting to update them to newer technology.

The nacelles call to be planked with 1/8 balsa. I am new to this type of thing so I ask, if it's feasible to make the nacelle housing out of just fiberglass or should I plank it with the 1/8 balsa the cover it? I don't know if making the fiberglass only housing would cost strength or if it can be epoxied to maintain the strength it needs.

At this time I am using CAD to redraw the plans and if I can just use fiberglass for the nacelles , I need to know the approximate thickness the fiberglass should be so I can adjust size for the formers.

Any input would be helpful, thanks guys
    Nacelles imply more than one engine/motor for power. A 60" span implies that the total power isn't that much, maybe 2 HP all up. Assuming two engines, a pair of .25s should be enough.

Then I suggest that you carve each nacelle in 1 pound density foam and then fiberglass each foam plug with 3 oz glass and good quality laminating epoxy (west systems, ez lam, us composites, etc etc; many choices here). Stick a, 1/8" birch ply firewall on each and hang the engine directly, No need to remove the foam unless you need space for a 4 oz tank. It will be light and functional.

If you intend to use electric motors, it's probably even simpler and you can use 2 oz glass or less. Probably 1/16" birch ply FW will be all a motor needs.

For such small power you don't need a balsa support structure on the foam. It will add a bunch of unnecessary weight (strength as well of course but it really isn't needed). If you insist, a balsa nacelle can as simple as a balsa stick skeleton with 1/16" sheeting all around, glassed with 3/4 oz glass cloth. FW may be 1/18" birch for engine or 1/16" birch for motor.
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)