Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Resins for composite construction

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Resins for composite construction

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:51 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Resins for composite construction

Hi I just wanted to ask a question about composite construction and the epoxy I should use. I know the most popular is west marine epoxy resin 105/206 for doing lay ups. I want to start out small and make a couple of fuel tanks for the planes that I fly then work my way all the way up to making my own RC jet. I just have a few questions for the forum.

1. When looking for the most economical source for west systems I found another boat epoxy that many liked for doing layups on boats but could not find anything on it in the RC community...it is called..TotalBoat 5:1 epoxy resin. Has anyone used it for RC use? If so how does it compare.

2. Where is the best and most economical source for supplies for RC composite materials. Fiberglass, epoxy, carbon, kevlar, etc.

3. I know that epoxy resin (west) can be used for tanks that use Kerosene (jets) but what resin to use for tanks made for gas airplanes?

4. Also does someone have a guide of how to start building a plane from scratch. ( I don't have any scratch builders in my club). I mean how to go from plan/model, to carved plug, to mold, to finished plane. Or anything in between would be great.

Patrick

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:35 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The best source for and price of composite materials to be found is going to be what you can find through google, do the search. Designing and scratch building an airplane is one thing but from your questioning it appears you also wish to learn composite tooling and component manufacturing as well as design and scratch building. The truth is there are three consecutive areas of expertise on the composite side alone, you have master model development, layup block or mold development, and finally component manufacturing. There is a school of vary hard knocks to be learned here, but to complicate it with airframe scratch building design utilizing composites along with everything else you are trying to learn would seem to be counter productive. You might consider breaking this up into several areas, learning to work with each before moving on to the next.

Bob
Old 12-29-2013, 09:29 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I second what bob says. Best thing to do is find someone in your area with experience and have a little how to session.

That said, there are resins as good or better than west systems for cheaper. I personally use a resin from Adtech which is used in some fullscale composite shops. Its about 1/2 the price of west.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:34 AM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by invertmast
That said, there are resins as good or better than west systems for cheaper. I personally use a resin from Adtech which is used in some fullscale composite shops. Its about 1/2 the price of west.
Can you please provide a link to what you use?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Google Adtech Plastic Systems for the EL line or Resin Services for the HT line.

Bob
Old 12-31-2013, 03:03 PM
CSCHIMNO
My Feedback: (5)

Default Adtech Resins

Originally Posted by sensei
Google Adtech Plastic Systems for the EL line or Resin Services for the HT line.

Bob
Invertmast, what Adtech resins , would your recommend for fuse layup etc. Thanks
Carl
Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by CSCHIMNO
Invertmast, what Adtech resins , would your recommend for fuse layup etc. Thanks
Carl
I used Adtech EL-301 for all of my laminating needs. $340 for 5 gallons from www.theengineerguy.com
Old 12-31-2013, 04:44 PM
CSCHIMNO
My Feedback: (5)

Thank you. I have been following your F14 build, very impressive.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:52 PM
mikey49

Here is a good link to learn about composites.
http://www.gurit.com/files/documents...tes%281%29.pdf

There are many good books on composites and design of model aircraft as well.
I have been playing around with the idea of building an x-3 out of composites at 12% size.Its only on scratch paper for now.
I may never get it done but it leads me to learn new things.When we leave our comfort zone and our existing skill set, we begin to learn. Who knows, You may be the next Kelly Johnson.
Good luck and best wishes on your project.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:02 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Invertmast,
I luckily have found someone in the area who can help my son and I. His engineering teacher has a ton of design and manufacturing experience. The initial idea came from my son's junior year engineering project designing and flying his own flying wing model for his class. We will build one out of foam first but we would like to mold it and build one out of composite as well and keep going from there. The nice thing about it is that I will be able to do this with my son and he wants to do engineering, especially aeronautical engineering. So hopefully this will give him future experience with that as well.

Patrick

Originally Posted by invertmast
I second what bob says. Best thing to do is find someone in your area with experience and have a little how to session.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:01 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by sirrom
Invertmast,
I luckily have found someone in the area who can help my son and I. His engineering teacher has a ton of design and manufacturing experience. The initial idea came from my son's junior year engineering project designing and flying his own flying wing model for his class. We will build one out of foam first but we would like to mold it and build one out of composite as well and keep going from there. The nice thing about it is that I will be able to do this with my son and he wants to do engineering, especially aeronautical engineering. So hopefully this will give him future experience with that as well.

Patrick

Patrick,
that ia great to hear! If you two ever need some help of opinions, feel free to give me a buzz. Im only 45 mins south of Sarasota, but work at the Sarasota-Bradenton airport.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:10 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

You may get some info from my posts as well.

I have not worked on my F-104 for awhile, but if you search for my RCG name and find the post in the edf sections, I have pics of a F-104 off internet 3 views enlarged by my kid as needed.

This method will give you a shape/plug to mold. The internal frame work is from your building experience.
Hope it helps

steve
Old 01-06-2014, 02:12 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catego.../cm/index.html
http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraf...hing-materials