Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Wax removal

Old 01-16-2014, 11:42 PM
Barbera_Banker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax removal

Im planning on taking a mold off a model yacht ive built. Plan on taking the paint basically back to primer, hitting it with a hi build primer, sanding, buffing etc.

I want the existing boat (plug) to be usuable afterwards, and want to repaint it and am worried about removing the wax applied to it pre taking the mold. Is remoxing wax as simple as wiping down with metho or MEK?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2014, 06:35 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

In this case I would add a bit more primer or your finish coat, then to remove the wax, wet sand with 1000/600 to expose a "new" final surface to paint once done with wax and molding.

After all, you do need a surface for the your finish coat to "bite" into.

Good Luck
Steve
Old 01-18-2014, 07:02 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

If you sand the wax all your going to do is contaminate the paint layer with wax. If ita a carnauba wax, dish soap and warm water will work fine.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 AM
tunakuts3d

wouldn't an automotive paint wax/degreaser work? I think something called prep-sol is one?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:03 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd use PVA, a few coats. The wax will never come off. The wax I use says it must be removed mechanically (Honey Wax) I don't think the wax and grease remover would do it. I know for painting - wax must be removed with wax and grease remover, then sanded, then removed again because of contamination. As Invertmast mentioned. It may be possible to wax over the PVA? that would give a barrier?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

I have recently done the same thing. What I would do is prime your plug with an epoxy primer such as Klass Koat or automotive primer such as Transtar. Next would be a coat of color, again either Klass Koat or any catalyzed single stage paint. Pull your mold from the plug by prepping with wax and PVA. Trying to find other systems that may not contaminate your plug may result in not being able to remove the plug from the mold. When it's time to clean the plug, wash several times with a scotch brite pad and Dawn dish soap, acetone wash changing rags frequently then wet sand off the color using a solution of Dawn and water. Once down to primer acetone wash again and then spray on a light coat of primer.