Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on tools for composite work

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Thoughts on tools for composite work

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Geek1945

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on tools for composite work

The following composite tool ideas are presented for your consideration.

1. Using cheap disposable foam pipe insulation on shortened paint rollers to apply resin. The foam doesn't absorb water and if needed could be wrapped with tape if found to soak up resin. In any case a package usually contains several 4 foot sticks which could supply an ample supply of custom sized rollers.

2. GRP shops visited have some neat ways to control resin pot life during hot weather by keeping the resin cool and dispersed. I was told disposable aluminum cooking ware was a great heat sink and kept the resin spread out preventing concentrating internal reaction heat from speeding up the resin versus using resin in a small container. Another tip was to set the resin on a recently wetted rag since tap water is normally several degrees cooler than outside air.

3. I'm considering using a peltier and PC CPU heatsink w/fan to make a cold plate also. A 12v/10 amp batter charger will be drafted to power the peltier/fan doing double duty as a hot wire power source. Note I consider cooling resin more of a problem than warming it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

4. The shop worker also cut reinforcements to be used in the mold layup to provide added rigidity so I'm considering "hardware cloth" which appears like heavy screen wire. It's easily cut and flexible/conformable like GRP roving/cloth to prevent mould flexing. Additional I have quite bit of left over 3/8" rebar which could also be used.

5. One of the real problems during wet-out is eliminating air bubbles I was also shown a "bubble buster roller" which may be useful see link: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=2109

6. Questions asked indicated the workers were especially concerned with insuring plug release to this they all advised 'wax wax and more wax' they used pure carnuba "Mothers" . After waxing the PVA was sprayed on or better said light misted since mould detail can be lost with excess PVA application. The same goes for gelcoat like paint just enough to cover and tad more that's all.

7. What really surprised me was plug removal which I expected to be prying, pulling, and flexing, nope several 1/16" holes were drilled in inconspicuous locations then compressed air was used to blow the plug out. These blow-out holes were later filled with clay when production stated. I was told on big moulds a compressed air manifold was fitted so pressure could be apply uniformly to the production piece.

8. Modding a Harbor "China" Freight spray gun for gelcoat/resin application since I don't believe a large nozzel is available. Modding a handheld sandblaster might be a candidate too.

9. I'm going to purge the air in the resin containers before closing the lid using propane gas, now just a tad since I've seen aerosol cans for this purpose which I suspect is LPG type gas.

10. Lastly tools where cleaned up in 3 containers covered with plastic and board on top and as the first container became saturated it was emptied and #2 move to #1 position likewise for 3 to 2 and the fresh one became the last container for us ziploc bags over cans.

I'll try to recall more the company has since moved to larger facilities outside of Granbury Texas their name was Advance Aero Composites. I would guess the other nearby business didn't shed a tear to see them go either since the smell was quite strong even outside. Of course there were fans both sucking and blowing little help for the smell I wonder if the workers spouses make them remove there outer clothing before entering there homes, mine handed new clothes to be put on in my workshop bath/shower room.

Finally I wished they hadn't moved since the supervisor/worker asked how much resin I needed, oh about a gallon then bring a container and small bottle for MEKP plus $5 and I'll fill them up. Now a gallon is almost $40 at Lowes. No endorsements intended only for reference. Ed retired FAA E.T. Radar/Computers
Old 09-23-2014, 12:55 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Polyester... No wonder it stunk! Go with a good epoxy (yes it costs a bit more) but the reduced smell is well worth it IMO