Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Reinforcing fiberglass fuse...

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Reinforcing fiberglass fuse...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 03:59 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinforcing fiberglass fuse...

I am looking for suggestions as to what to use to reinforce the fuse on my 1:4.75 Skymaster Hawk fuse. I am mainly looking to beef up the component bay were there is a fair distance between formers. What is the best option? I want it to be functional and still maintain a clean look.

Thoughts?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:46 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to have one of these, and you have a few options depending on what you really want, I didn't like the big gap as I felt the plane buckle a little on my stand.

So easy option, go to Hobby Lobby and get a $1.25 peace of 1/4 in hard wood square dowel and cut it to length from former to former and epoxy 2 of them about 2 in apart running from front to rear former. This is what I did and was great!

Option 2, I have some really heavy weight carbon fiber tow, with this you will need to layer it up about 5 3-4 times and run it just like the wood dowels.

Option 3, Put a 2in strip of 6 oz carbon fiber strip down the center.

Option 4, There is foam epoxy base foam that will stiffen, but will not help for what you want to do.