Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Jet Legend Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 04:50 PM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Legend Repair

Could you guys tell me if there is a way to replace or repair the top sheeting on a 1/5 JL L-39? I am going to be purchasing a plane but the gentleman that owns it had a self admitted not so good landing. He slowed it up too much and it dropped in and cracked the gear block on one side and when that happened it pushed up enough that it cracked the sheeting on the top of the wing. He was able to taxi the plane back under its own power and he even thought he got away without any damage until he noticed the cracked wing sheeting on top. Just wondering if that is a repairable crack of if it would be easier to just buy a new wing and start over. Just thought I would pick the minds of the masses. Thanks in advance.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015012795195223.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	2068675   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015012795195209.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	2068676  
Old 01-28-2015, 05:31 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

If you can get to the inside surface of the crack, you could place a layer of carbon on the inside surface and then thin CA the balsa crack back on. Then a layer of a light weight glass cloth on the exterior surface. It'll need a paint free surface and a new paint job though.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:39 PM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

I assumed the paint would be without question just don't know how easy it would be to get to the inside. That's going to be the interesting part.

Jason
Old 02-04-2015, 04:07 PM
sierratango

Only my two cents, but...

I think the question would be why the top wing skin suffered that damage in the first place,

The landing gear would normally be attached to the spar so the question how could the spar put that much pressure on the wing skin without causing significant spar wing skin separation someplace else.

big unknown?
Old 03-26-2015, 11:08 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

A great source of helpful tips can be found on the BVM Jets website: www.bvmjets.com Use the buttons on the left side of the home page to navigate to "Tips and How To's". It doesn't matter what brand your jet is, these tips can be used for all.
Here's a way to patch the top surface of your wing after completing the inside repairs. Add the same thing to the opposite wing, and after painting, most people won't know why the panels are there.
http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/skin_patching.htm