Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Sheeting Quickie 500 Foam Cores

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Sheeting Quickie 500 Foam Cores

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:45 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sheeting Quickie 500 Foam Cores

While sheeting foam core wings may not sound like a composites topic, the way I do them makes them very much like a hollow core molded wing in terms of strength. They don't come out of a mold ready to paint or use, but after finishing the wing with cloth on the outside or even plastic covering, they are very strong.

I worked out a technique for sheeting Quickie 500 wings using approximately one ounce of epoxy on a 10.5" x 48" wing skin. I roll it on using thing foam rollers. Then I lay down 0.7 ounce cloth on the skin and roll it out. This is just enough epoxy to wet the fiberglass cloth. Then I put on carbon fiber laminate with a small amount of additional epoxy. I put the skins on with porous release film between the shuck and the balsa so that the epoxy that comes through the skin doesn't stick to the shuck. I pin the assembly together and put paper towels all around the block as breather. This also keeps the T-pins I use from rupturing the vacuum bag.

I recently made a video on preparing the materials.

http://youtu.be/JJ69Q3sThnk I have a complete series on the techniques as I have developed them and the YouTube playlist is at Sheeting Quickie Wings.

I will be doing a new video that shows the complete lay-up process with the carbon fiber laminate on the trailing edge.