Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Question on retracts

Old 09-23-2015, 10:48 AM
adamg1987

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Question on retracts

I'm buying an unfinished project, a Spitfire with a 55" wingspan, the model doesn't have any retracts and im wondering is it possible to fit them? what type of reinforcement will it need and is there anything i need to look out for?

Cheers
Old 01-17-2016, 03:34 PM
bikerbc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sure you can fit them in . You will need to do some work though . It depends what kind of wing you have . Foam or built up . Retracts are a fair amount of work . It depends on the type of retratcs .Air ,electric , mecanical . Electric is probably the easist but also the most expensive . You will need a fairly light set for that size of plane so they shouldnt set you back to much . I find that retracts are mostly a pain in the butt unless you have a plane that you like to show . A decked out scale plane looks great with them but your average sunday flyer usually ends up costing you too much time in the pits to be worth it . They bend very easily and so need constant adjusting and tweaking . If you have a paved run way you have a better chance of getting a flight or two in without dicking with them . I think if you could put a set of struts on them that would help . This will depend somewhat on your building skills , you are going to need to open up your wing and make pockets for your wheels very close to the main spars without weaking them plus you will need too make anchors for your retract units without adding too much weight . If this is your first go at this having a little help from a friend with some experience would be nice . I just finished a Spit with retracts but its a lot bigger . It has a 96" wing . I used Air and Robart retracts . 6 of us scratch built them and we are just finishing them up . I think I am number 3 .
Old 03-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Stick 40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the FMS p51 big beautiful doll, takes a 4cell lipo plane with retracts.

they are small elect retracts and are made to come down and up slow, much like real retracts.

the size may be close to what you need.