Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Flite skin...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:50 PM
swampyankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flite skin...

Has anyone used it? How well does it follow the contour of a round fuse?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:46 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I was expecting Some one else to say something.

I have used it on a Byron F16 and Im going to order some more for a Byron F20 that I converted to turbine.

I think its great stuff, It did not work so well when I followed the directions with the gorilla Glue. as it caused uneven surfaces, maybe if I had the original foam cucks it would of not been so bad.

I used thick Foam Safe CA, While CA dose dry quickly when put on thin, I just put the CA on think around the edges and in a zig zag pattern, cut the Flite Skin larger than the area neededing covered and press down, you get about 4 sec to get it right, wich don't take that long in the first place. then trim the peace to fit the part,

I also use it to cover open serfaces like the rudders and elevators on my Top Flite P40 and P51. Works very well for this as it bridges the open structors nicely and is very strong.

When I use it for wings, I cut it back about 1/4in from the leading edge and use regular .50 oz glass with Z poxy. Very easy and quick, Now these F16 and F20 wings have very sharp leading edges. But even on a war bird I would do the same as I would not want fight it around that tight of a curve.

That's all I can say about it.

Good Luck mike
Old 02-21-2016, 11:07 AM
swampyankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike, The information on how you do your rudder and elevator L/E's will be very useful.