Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Makeing your Composite Props

Old 12-06-2016, 08:41 AM
mikes68charger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Makeing your Composite Props

Ok guys, I have an ideal, but im looking for suggestions.

So I just picked up a sweet 160in C130, while its very nice, Im trying to decide between running DLE20 or electric. But Im thinking electric is the way to go if I can run a semi scale prop.

So I found this pic of another guy who built a semi scale prop for the C130, Im not sure if its functnal, but I want one that is.

I can tell from his other pic, is he took APC 16X12 nitro props, and cut them so it can have 6 blades, with 2 aluminum plates, with 2 rods going throw the root of the prop, with a bunch of Hysal (amazing epoxy) to smooth and help hold it all in.

Im not sure if this would hold together, Im thinking its going to take a 295KV 1.60 electric motor for this 6 blade 16X12 prop.

So I have read about using clay, to make a mold so I can lay this set up in carbon fiber. With a foam in the middle to make the blades lighter.

Has anyone done this? has anyone made there own carbon props?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3110.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	2192411   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3111.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	2192412  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:39 PM
RodneyFord

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nothing hard about it but a 6 blader will require a bit of work. I have made quite a few molded carbon 2 bladers up to 47 1/4" both hollow and solid . Google "molded propeller" for info on making the molds. It would be a good idea to do the APC thing as in the pics to test whether your motors will drive it and you get enough thrust and pitch speed. My view is that a 2 blader is always more efficient as is more diameter, and when the prop is turning you can't see the difference. However if you go ahead with it I would love to see the results as it would look cool sitting on the runway with the motors stopped.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:25 PM
turbofixer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am pretty sure Damon only wanted the APC prop for testing. he then made the molded carbon prop for flying. it is totally doable. But does require a bit of under standing of working with composites and carbon fiber/ Pultruded layup.. The company I work with has made props this way for full size. there is a few things to look for and a six blade has some of its own problems to deal with. the big thing is safety issues. if one lets go its going to be a bad day if anyone is standing close...other then that have fun..

Search this Thread