Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Request for CNC bid (1 lb. foam)

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Request for CNC bid (1 lb. foam)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Request for CNC bid (1 lb. foam)

Hi everybody,

I'm doing the 3D work for someone who is prototyping an aircraft at RC scale. The fuselage I need to have machined from 1 lb. foam is about 6' 2" min length, and very simple in shape. (not looking for a Class A finish here) So, to those of you who can machine such parts, what would you expect the machining cost to be? (I can supply the file in STL or STP format.) Ideally, we'd like to do this work in the next couple of weeks. Let me know... Thanks!

The plan is to cut two (left and right) fuselage halves. Each fuselage half is 6 ft. long, 14 inches tall, and 7 inches wide.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 2.41.28 PM.png
Views:	73
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	2223687  

Last edited by Mike James; 07-08-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:58 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try here. Dan

Contact Us - AeroScott Model Engine Repair
Old 07-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Mike James

Default Dan?

I sent a request to the link in the previous post, (aerosoft.com) and received this email in return. (incorrect link?)

"Hi Mike,
It seems we inadvertently received this email which was intended for somebody else. Just wanted you to know.
Fly safe!

Scott Swirles"
Old 07-09-2017, 02:29 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, Thanks for the update. It was just a try. I was not too sure what you needed. Dan.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:57 PM
ibuild

Well, based on your description "simple shape, not class A finish" I was about to suggest carving it yourself, you would probably be done by now. However if thats not your cup of tea perhaps it's about time to look at a CNC router for your own workshop, not too expensive these days - all the possibilities you want at a push of a button. I have named mine "Sharon" because that is a good name for an assistant. Personally I'm a little old school so I usually prefer to make things myself rather than letting my assistant do it for me, but if you have a business and are doing payed work for others it might be a good idea.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Mike James

Thanks to those who had a look here. This request is now filled, so this thread can be ignored or deleted.