Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Carbon fiber fuselage

Old 10-16-2017, 05:41 AM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Exclamation Carbon fiber fuselage

Hello
I made a RC plane with plywood and balsawood, i'm currently triyng to improve my desing by remaking the fuselgae with carbon fiber. The thing is that i have never worked with carbon fiber and I'm not sure how (or if) i can manually make the fuselage.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:19 PM
daveopam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Use strips of it to reinforce the fuse. I would not make the complete fuse out of it.

David
Old 10-17-2017, 10:26 AM
GREG DOE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My recommendation would be to make a fiberglass fuselage first. Once you have mastered that process you could move on to carbon fiber, which is considerable more expensive. You will have a steep learning curve between making a "master part" frequently referred to as the "plug", and then making a mold. Carbon fiber cloth is much stiffer then an equivalent glass cloth, so it is much harder to get it to lay down in the mold. A solution to that problem is to use several layers of lighter carbon cloth, to get the desired thickness. Interestingly lighter carbon cloth is often more expensive then heaver carbon cloth. Recently I made 5 fuselages for a friend. The first one was all glass, and then the rest had carbon reinforcement in the nose section. The carbon cloth is also bad to unravel, so many fabricaters place tape on the cloth where they will cut it. You would be wise to learn as much as you can about composite fabrication. A good starting place would be fiberglastproducts.com. There is a lot of work in the whole mold process, so generally speaking unless you plan to make several fuselages it's not worth all the work for a "one off" part.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 AM
rosinskr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

UJ

Search this Thread