Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Laminated Material

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 06:33 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Laminated Material

Hi Guys,
I am need to make a new shelf in my giant scale aerobatics airplane. It's roughly 12" x 12" and I don't want to use plywood anymore. I really want to find some light maybe foam filed center carbon fiber laminate, but then I'll also need someone with a CNC router to cut it out for me. Can you guys point me in a good direction? Much Thanks and Happy new year guys.
RP
Old 12-30-2017, 12:47 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I make my own by laying up multiple layers of glass cloth on a piece of glass plate. You can use PVA as a parting film, or peel ply. Clamp a board, or something flat on top of your laminate, or vacuum bag it. Put a foam core in the middle if you like, although you could have a balsa core too. Use a good laminating resin. If this is too much work for you, or you don't have all the materials, try to find someone in your area who could lay it up for you.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:44 AM
hitec9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool idea. I'll have to try it.