Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Large wing fabrication - 23' X-wing fighter

Old 11-14-2017, 08:06 AM
mvoltin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Large wing fabrication - 23' X-wing fighter

We are building 23' X-wing fighter model to raise money for a local school STEM program and need help with the fabrication - we have little experience in this and really appreciate guidance. We are done with the cabin and fiberglassed the body but need to fabricate the wings.

The wings are roughly 8 x 4 feet and ideally 2" thick but can go up to 2.5". They are all square with right angles and same thickness throughout. Can we fabricate a fairly rigid wing this thin that will be relatively light and support its own weight plus the "cannons" (see the picture below) at the ends? They will be attached to the body and will move up and down but will not have to endure any stress.
Click image for larger version

Name:	X-wing_Fathead.png
Views:	28
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2245048

Here is more info about where we are:
Used polyester resin for the body but getting epoxy for the wings to avoid contraction and ensure better strength.
Used 5/32 cardbox as a core but was not impressed with the strength even after getting one layer of cloth from one side and 3 layers from the other. (adding mat mostly seemed to add weight). So, the cardboard may be fine for the body but may not be strong enough for the wings.
Planned to use coroplast (corrugated plastic)- as a core for the wings but neither fiberglass nor epoxy seem to adhere to it very well.

Questions: what is the core material we should use and how this should be fabricated? Again, we are trying to keep the cost down (more money for the school) and the wings only need to support themselves and the "cannons" at the end. I was thinking of making 2 inch strips of core and then epoxying them together with fiberglass cloth in between. Then using these as "beams" to go between two flat panels (which would also be laminated from both sides with fiberglass. I have a gut feeling that this may not be the best technique and any guidance will be great.

thank you in advance
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	X-wing_Fathead.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	2245047  
Old 02-24-2018, 05:05 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, dont know if it is too late, but I would use foam cores from the home center, carbon fiber spars and lay glass cloth on top of that. If it is a static display, make an aluminum framework for the wing to attacht eh cannons and rotating gear to, bond the foam to that, then glass is with 4 ounce cloth.