Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

foam board with fiberglass cloth etc ?

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

foam board with fiberglass cloth etc ?

Old 01-09-2018, 11:13 AM
rudder2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foam board with fiberglass cloth etc ?

Hello..... would like to build a flight sim console using a foam board and cover it with fiberglass cloth with a resin. I did this like 20 years ago building a experimental airplane in the bulkheads of the fuselage. Can anybody help me with what foam to buy and what cloth etc I need? Aircraft spruce has a great website but they wont tell me what exact items to use. thanks
Old 01-11-2018, 01:41 PM
Mms_citrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How thick does it all need to be? Lowe’s or Home Depot have foam you can use. For your purposes literally any cloth or maybe even chop strand will work. Thinner glass will conform to curves better. Heavier gives mor rigidity and build up. You could get away with polyester resin too, just don’t build it up too many layers at a time. It’ll get too hot probably. Polyester cause it’s cheap. I don’t know for sure if polyester will eat the foam but it’s like 1/4 the cost of epoxy.
your question is to vague
Old 01-13-2018, 01:51 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First, welcome to the forum. There is a polyisocyanurate foam that the polyester resin does not affect. It is usually a house cladding in around 3/4" thickness. If using an epoxy, or water based urethane or whatever for a resin, then other foams are fine. The extruded ones sand nicer than the beaded white foam. Cloth is usually fiberglass, matte is good too, not maybe as strong. Lots of variables to take into account.with the given info.