Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Kevlar Live Hinges?

Old 04-27-2019, 11:39 AM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi again,
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Yes I thought that kevlar was a better option but I suppose it was worth the try in using peel ply. Another point I wish to asked is the use of the honeycomb material. I always shy away from this material as I am not experienced at all in using it since I mainly use Airex foam. Presumably you may be using the thin version 1mm or so but when you vacuum bag the honeycomb will it leave a wavy surface and won't it leave too much resin between hexagon?
Thanks again for putting up with my questions!

Reuben.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:19 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have switched to Airex too.. so there you go!
Old 04-27-2019, 12:34 PM
F86_SABRE

heheheh....thanks for your time

Reuben
Old 04-27-2019, 12:40 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem at all.. I appreciate the break from my current project. its actually the same project but I did away with the stabs you see in this thread and went with a full flying tail. Getting my head around the geometry with the space I have is a brain teaser. The beer seems to help though LOL

Don't hesitate to ask

Trev
Old 04-27-2019, 01:11 PM
F86_SABRE

Thanks Trev. At the moment I am in the process of making my first full composite kit, a Beech T-34A Mentor. Already did some part trials since all the molds are done. Up to now I am quite satisfied with the few parts made. Next week I will be tackling the cowl and see how that will go. Also I am trying to teach myself Solidworks and already done some trials which turned out well however I am no expert as I am still in the early stages. Here in Malta (Europe) there is nobody who taught Solidworks as mostly people here are using Autodesk stuff.
Anyways, thanks again.

Reuben

Last edited by F86_SABRE; 04-27-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:55 PM
zahirisoolw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for sharing dude!