Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

My LOW budget Vacuum Switch

Old 03-17-2018, 07:23 AM
Vettster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My LOW budget Vacuum Switch

Just thought I'd post this here in the hopes it may help other builders entering composites fabrication. I can't take credit for the idea. I found a picture on the net with no info, but that was all I needed. It works very good and is KISS! Keep It Simple Stupid

I'm getting pretty good at the bagging with regards to a perfect seal.. though I still have to occasionally check it and give it a pump once or twice. It's kinda nerve racking when you're trying to relax and watch a movie etc, so I decided to use a switch. I didn't want to go with the expensive electronic switches that you can only get from the US and pay a fortune in shipping + duties, taxes and waiting for a week or more...so I made my own for $5. That was the cost of the 15a 125v switch.

The syringe has a spring inside. When vacuum hits 8 bar the spring is compressed releasing the switch and turning off the pump. When/if it loses vac (5 bar)the spring pushes the plunger out which activates the switch starting the cycle again.

The only tricky part was the switch. I don't have a lot of experience with electronics, but I knew that I didn't want the switch to turn on or off so slowly that it would arc and burn out the switch. A simple chat with the electronics salesman set me up with what is called a "momentary quick switch". It builds up pressure and then snaps to the on position and same for the off.

Hope this helps someone.

Trevor

Last edited by Vettster; 03-17-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:58 PM
giantfly
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Smile low budget vacuum switch

very cool idea I am going to build one myself
thanks for sharing
Old 05-27-2018, 03:32 PM
Vettster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your welcome. The only thing I would change is to use a 20ml syringe instead of the 10ml syringe I used. The small one is a bit to sensitive.

Have fun!
Old 05-30-2018, 06:21 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I built my own rig.some time back. For a cheap pressure sensitive switch I scavenged the vacuum advance unit off an automobile distributor. They come with a spring. built in.

I reused a micro switch and a relay from my junk box. The vacuum advance unit was a spare I had for my classic car as the diaphragms do fail

Last edited by j.duncker; 05-30-2018 at 06:25 AM.