Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass and Polyester resin??

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fiberglass and Polyester resin??

Old 10-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fiberglass and Polyester resin??

Just got a quick question. Is fiberglass resin the same as polyester resin? I am building a Yellow P-47 and the instructions say to use polyester resin. I went to a local autobody store and the guy at the counter said polyester resin is the same as fiberglass resin, is this true?

Thanks,
Tony Gagliardi Jr.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:12 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglass and Polyester resin??

In his context it is. Fibre glass bodywork is with polyester resin as opposed to epoxy resin where we use both for different purposes.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:35 AM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglass and Polyester resin??

Because there are various composite materials available now it is best to be specific. Fibreglass is the actual cloth, it is available in several formats. Polyester resin is one of the resins used to impregnate it. Epoxy resin is another resin used for the same purpose. Unfortunately, because of it's use, polyester resin, due to our language laziness, became known as Fibreglass resin. Based on that logic Epoxy resin should also be called Fibreglass resin. Which is why it is best to be specific.

Be Warned! The hardener for polyester resin is a very dangerous material. It should not be allowed in a domestic environment. The only advice I will offer for polyester resin is DO NOT USE IT.

Ed S