Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Frisket ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 06:29 AM
hnesitd1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frisket ???

I have heard that this material can be used for masking as a prep for painting. Can some one tell me where I might obtain this material. So far I've been getting blank looks at Business Depot, Staples, etc. How do you use it? Incidently, duct tape is a fantastic masking material when used over fiberglass - no bleed! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:10 AM
Ed Smith

Default RE: Frisket ???

What is "Frisket", what is it used for?

Ed S
Old 11-08-2003, 08:15 AM
hnesitd1

My information is that FRISKET is similar to Liquid Masking material, ie, you apply it like tape but then detail your design and then remove those areas that are to be painted. I've heard that it is used by artists, etc. The beauty is that it prevents paint bleed under the masking material. In this case, FRISKET. You can imagine how useful this would be when designing flowing patterns (flames). I think that it might be available in Canada under another name.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:40 AM
Ed Smith

I want to make sure I have this right. The Frisket is stuck on to the surface. The design is carefully cut out and removed. Then the design is painted and the remaining frisket is removed. Is this correct?

If so, I have used a similar process using the sticky transparent book covering material. I purchased this material in Staples. When doing this I found I had to be very careful when cutting the design. I used a new X-Acto blade and applied little pressure. In places I still cut into the base paint. This did not matter too much as a clearcoat finish was to be sprayed on. However, cutting into the base paint does provide a starting point for the paint to peel off when removing the mask.

Ed S
Old 11-08-2003, 08:55 AM
hnesitd1

re: Frisket - you've pretty much described it how it would be used. I understand that it is very easy to work with. I believe the material you mentioned goes by the name of, MACTACK; grist for the mill, eh? I did a search for Frisket and several members mention it without being specific.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:52 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frisket paper is a low tack paper that you may cut your design out of, then lay on the surface you wish to paint. It does not like to go around compound curves. Comes in two varieties, gloss and matte finish. The matte finish you can draw your pattern on, before cutting. Usually found in art supply stores, and some craft stores.

Les
Old 11-08-2003, 10:05 AM
rcalfred

The frisket that i use is a film with a low tack adhesive. It is backed by a paper carrier. It comes in either rolls, or as individual sheets. Additionally, it has either a gloss finish or matte finish. I get mine at a local artist's supply store. Because it is low tack it will not peel up the paint layers under it. Regards.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:49 AM
Mikey D

Frisket is available at all art supply stores. It is used commonly with people who do alot of airbrushing. It is a bit expensive though. One trick that I have used in the past is to just buy clear contact paper. The trick is to remove the backing from the contact paper and put the sticky side on your clean shirt right on your chest. Yes... sounds weird, but what you end up doing is removing most of the tack of the adhesive to where it is about the same as frisket.

Mikey D
Old 11-12-2003, 12:13 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Back when I used to do a fair amount of airbrushing (non-modeling related) I used a few different versions of frisket paper/film, and found that the tack was not good enough to keep a lot of paint from bleeding under the edge. I got so I used the paper/film to cover large areas, but used liquid frisket along the edges to keep the bleeding from coming in underneath. I now use liquid frisket the same way in painting a model. Especially for something with tight compound curves, such as a molded canopy, you can liquid frisket the entire canopy and paint a very well controlled edge. The liquid frisket is sold the same places as the paper. A good on-line source is DickBlick.com--good prices, good service, great selection. This stuff is mainly rubber latex, comes off by just rubbing with your fingertip and it peels off like a blob of snot.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:45 AM
hnesitd1

Thanks for the info - the liquid frisket, I believe, is the stuff people rave over. I'm definitely going to try it out