Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Here is what we do at Scaled Composites

Old 02-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Here is what we do at Scaled Composites

"I must apoligies for the carbon/radio discussion in this post. If I could remove them I would"

"When I get a chance later today, I'll clean up the thread."
Well Darn...I'm just now finding this thread...I've been out of R/C for a while and just getting re-started...

That carbon/radio discussion is a subject I'm Very interested in...Know of any other threads??

This looks like some great info Darrinc...I havn't had a chance to read much..I will later...

I have been on a couple of field trips out to Palmdale...I Really wanted to Visit Scaled...I "Almost" got to but it didn't work out...I did get a T-Shirt though..he he

Got to visit ED...That was Awesome!!

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 02-13-2007, 11:40 PM
KevinR100

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

darrin, great thread...
Just a question - I thought that carbon fiber's shear strength was relatively weak but the tensile strength was exceptionally high. Most people's layups tend to be towards using carbon fiber in such a way as to hopefully increase shear strength. Carbon fiber in a composite layup should utilise both aspects of the material. I would appreciate your comments.
kevin

Edit: We are using glass construction for seaplanes & racing boats (models).
Old 02-15-2007, 05:21 AM
MSQ
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sorry to chage the topic do you guys have any information about the detail procedure to use novex honey comb in quarter scale airplanes for the wings as well as fues

Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Magne

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MSQ,

One supplier of Nomex (Aramid honeycomb) is R&G i Germany.
They have a lot of information on their internet site, including how to lay up Nomex honeycomb, what thickness materials to use for various applications etc.
Go to:
http://www.r-g.de/
look for Services, Downloads, R&G Handbuch-Edition8
Chapter 9 is the one you are after.
All in German and English.

Magne
Old 02-16-2007, 01:20 AM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great thread! Lots of good info
Old 02-25-2007, 02:58 AM
troposcuba

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

cool stuff here. i am a structural maintainer on full size planes. we do a lot of composite repairs etc. so i have quite a bit of experience with honeycomb construction. I have never built the structures however. cool info here, anyway just a question for ya about the skinning of honeycomb. when we do repairs, i have found that a good way to impregnate the cloth is to take a couple layers of PVA and put your glass or whatever cloth you are using between them. you can then squeegee the resin into the cloth to wet it out nicely. you can also squeegee out all the excess fiarly easily yielding a consistent amount of resin throughout your cloth. then you layup your repair (or structure) and bag it with a layer of bleeder and peel ply for separator. any excess resin ends up in the bleeder and it is just a matter of separating the peel ply and viola nice results usually are the result. does this technique apply here?

I was also wondering if it is possible to cnc mill nomex honeycomb core material to shape for a wing and then just glass and bag it for a good light wing?? mebbe you could elaborate on the methods of making a nice honeycomb sandwich construction wing?

thanks for the great info.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KevinR100

darrin, great thread...
Just a question - I thought that carbon fiber's shear strength was relatively weak but the tensile strength was exceptionally high. Most people's layups tend to be towards using carbon fiber in such a way as to hopefully increase shear strength. Carbon fiber in a composite layup should utilise both aspects of the material. I would appreciate your comments.
kevin

Edit: We are using glass construction for seaplanes & racing boats (models).
Yes, carbon, like any material, has its strengths and weakness. The big trap that everyones seems to go through, (myself included) is to use one type of material for everything. That thinking usually ends in disaster, either structurally or in heavyness to aquire the structural requirements.

I have found that I use a wide range of materials in everything I do. I had to laugh since I had 6 different types of materials within a one foot area on one project. But that is the joy of using composites since we can custom any structure to any properties we desire. It just takes some experimenting and really understanding the materials.

I still follow Burts Rutans method, which is that you don't know what you got til you break it. Then you have learned something!

So as always, experimentation is the key!
Old 05-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Darrin,

It appears that we are looking for a new high tech carbon shop to do the work over load that we have now. Do you know any that are reliable, keep their mouth shut, and get the work done accurately and on time?

Drop me a pm if you get the chance before you dissapear again.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:00 PM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Darrin,

How thin of a carbon fiber mat can be used for a surface that would be equal to 1/4 inch balsa under compression?