Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

composite wing controls

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

composite wing controls

Old 11-19-2003, 04:33 AM
fnp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default composite wing controls

When one builds composite hollow wings how does one do the ailerons are they molded seprately. Thanks naji
Old 11-19-2003, 08:03 AM
Ed Smith

Default RE: composite wing controls

There are variations but this is the basic procedure. The wing is molded complete with the ailerons. After removal from the mold the aileron ends and the bottom skin hinge line is cut. The top skin is not cut and acts as the aileron hinge. There is usually a sub spar in front of and behind the hinge line, far enough away to allow the top skin to flex. These spars and torque rods if required, are molded in before the wing halves (Top and bottom) are joined.

Ed S
Old 11-19-2003, 11:37 AM
Mike James

We had a discussion of this last week, and I kept the image I made for that one, so here it is again. Ed is right, and this image just shows the layup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80448.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	75866  
Old 11-20-2003, 07:27 AM
KrisG

Hi all,

I tried the technique with a strip of tear-off tissue, and put 80 g/sqm glass over it. I scratched the glass after full setting of the resin and had a very usable hinge! I cannot tell more about how long it lasts etc.

Marcus Koch used this technique on some high performance electric birds. If I recall correctly, he also mentioned that a strip of kevlar can be used instead of the tear-off tissue. The kevlar will certainly be the more expensive option. Mr Koch did beautiful work on making full-molded planes AND documenting the whole process.

You will certainly find more about it when you scan the forums for "Eisvogel" and "M. Koch".

Best regards,

Kris
Old 11-21-2003, 10:02 AM
M. Koch

Hi Naji!

Have a look at my thread at ezonemag.com > Discussion > High performance > Building full-molded F5B-models Eisvogel and Raketenwurm! There you´ll find the answers to your question!
I normally use a about 2,5 cm wide strip of tear-off tissue for all my hinges! This works very well and lasts for sure longer than the plane if you cut the glass carefully an don´t damage the tear off tissue! Some other pilots use a strip of Aramid but i haven´t tried it yet!

@Kris
Thanks for the flowers for my thread about building high performance planes! It´s nice to hear that a lot of people are interesed in my work and i hope i was able to help some of you with my thread in building such planes!

Ciao, Marcus