Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass/foam fuselage

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fiberglass/foam fuselage

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 08:48 PM
DougT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass/foam fuselage

I'm considering building a 1/4 scale aerobatic plane. In another thread I've seen people recommending 8-10 total oz. of fiberglass layers for the fuselage for adequate strength.

What I want to know is can you lay up 4oz cloth for the outside layer and then insert a hollow "fuselage liner" of 2oz cloth and then spray in expanding eurathane foam to lock the two together. So you would have a 4oz outer skin, a 1-1.5" foam layer, and then a 2oz inside layer to mount your Rx, battery, and servo tray to. Do you think you could do this without any internal wood braces in the rear. I would of course have wood firewall, LG mount, wing mounts, etc.

I understand that the molds would have to be very rigid. I would let the excess foam expand out the wing saddle, firewall, canopy area, and tip of the tail.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Mel Francis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglass/foam fuselage

Expanding urethane foam can reach surprisingly high levels of heat and pressure.

Not only would your external molds need to be strong enough to resist bulge distortion and being forced open, but your inner core laminate might experience crushing deformation.

Try foam filling some test laminates that duplicate the laminates and their enclosure before risking your actual fuselage tooling and first parts.